betta fish
View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #71 
LittleBettaFish

OP, you should be concerned about more things going wrong with your current set-up than HITH disease.

Honestly, with your current stocking levels, your tank is going to eventually fall apart. If it doesn't, that doesn't mean you are right and everyone here is wrong, it it just means your fish are unfortunate to be hardy enough to survive in what is a totally inappropriate environment.

Have you ever seen a full-grown pleco at all? A full-grown common pleco probably wouldn't even fit into a 5 gallon tank. Bristlenose, which are the second most commonly sold species of pleco are not exactly small either. The one I had was at least as long as my hand.

I can't imagine a filter made for a 5 gallon tank that would have the media capacity to deal with the bioload your tank currently has.

I am not even going to touch on the inappropriateness of housing male/female splendens together. Luckily for you, your bettas will probably all be much too stressed to concern themselves with fighting.

What you are doing is animal abuse pure and simple. You can dress it up any way you want, use whatever excuses you have to, to make yourself feel better, but you are abusing those fish.

I see you posted about the 30 gallon. Unfortunately, those fish need that tank now, not in some distant future.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #72 
isochronism

All, The OP was given much advise great duplicate advise and had all questions answered more than well. The OP is a new member this month. The OP should know or will keep trolling. Just my opinion. I love you all :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #73 
isochronism

oops, (advice) Don't type and post fast. But rely on first intuitions. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #74 
RussellTheShihTzu

Glad you listed to those more learned than you or I.

I leave my Bettas in their aquariums when I do a partial water change. I have two five-gallons and remove four Sonic Route 44 cups from each every five days. That's about a gallon and a half.

I keep two one-gallon jugs filled with water and add Prime before putting in tank.

Oh, and as an idea, check Craig's List for aquariums. Around here (Nashville) a 55 gallon full set-ups and stand goes for around $300...of course one has to dicker to get the price lower

You're on the right track, congrats!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #75 
JellOh

You keep saying you love your fish... Can't you see how stressed they must be? I'm sure you would find plenty of people on here that would be willing to take your fish and give them a new home, or even take them until you could get a big enough tank to fit them all (minus the male). You seem to love your fish very much, but at the moment you just can't provide for them. The ultimate kindness to them would be re-homing them. I know they may look happy, but they aren't. You don't even have to get rid of all of them. You could keep your male betta or divide your tank in two and keep two of your female bettas. If you love them you'd let them go.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #76 
LittleBlueFishlets

When I started reading this thread, I wanted to ask if the OP's middle name has something to do with either Popcorn or Deer... Then, I reached the end of the thread, and looked at the poll results. And guess what! There are just two votes for "Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas" - and the two voters are (drum roll, please).... the OP and Popcorndeer. I admit that I laughed.

Dear Trunkzdbz - Best of luck to you and your fish.

And Popcorndeer - if you're reading this, I hope your fish are doing well, also.

To quote isochronism: "Just my opinion. I love you all."

Carry on.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #77 
Fenghuang

I was trying so very hard not to say anything, LittleBlueFishlets... They also use the same tank profile/specs thing.

But let us not jump to conclusions too quickly now. Maybe one of her friends? Popcorn said her friends wanted fish too after seeing hers.

Also, that is not a bristlenose in her pictures. She's definitely looking at a fish that will grow to 60 centimeters or more. Poor guy. /:

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-27-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #78 
Wildbetta

Oh man, I said I was done with this convo since the OP was not going to listen to advice BUT the last comment from OP changed my mind.

Trunkzbdz -- you say you already spent well over $300 on the 5 gallon tank AND just spent a lot more money on other supplies AFTER getting all this advice to get a larger tank. You should have spent all that money that you just spent on Amazon for a larger tank not freeze dried brine shrimp with is just as bad as freeze dried bloodworms for your betta.

I agree with LittleBettaFish -- continuing to keep your fish in this condition after being informed that it is very wrong-- constitutes as animal abuse straight and simple. Why ask for advice if you refuse to even believe that you are wrong? Good luck and I do hope that you eventually learn the right way however hard it might be to learn that.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #79 
LadyVictorian

Just my opinion but...I feel the OP is nothing more than a troll. Thus I feel this thread should be closed and the OP banned to prevent further drama within the community.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #80 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
I want to thank everyone who replyed to my post with so many helpful suggesstions and sound advice. I actually did tons of research online before adding a single fish, banana plant, or snail into my 5 gallon tank, I researched what to feed Bettas and how to care for them, I researched can Bettas live in a community, I researched if a 5 gallon tank is enough for my fishy friends, I mean I did a lot of research, and I found many difference of opinion answers on a lot of aquarium websites including this one. Many people said they had Betta community tanks with females and a single male, many people said not to mix Bettas. It's trail and error for me, I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank in the future; I know my Pleco will need that space because he can grow to be 1 to 2 feet long right now hes a baby just 1 and half inchs long, so hes ok in my 5 gallon for now. The Bettas all 4 females get along great hank God, and the male is also calm and swims around happy with the females, my Gold Mystery snails love sucking my tank walls and gravel all day long and my Pleco is super active sucking on everything the filter tube the heater the tank walls and even the banana plants. I wan't to thank everyone once again for all the great feedback, and I hope to hear from more fishy friends in the future.
Can you point me to where you did your research so I can be sure to stay away from it?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium