Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #111 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
What do you guys do about the opening in the top? i am sorely tempted by the V, but I have had a recent "out of tank experience" with one of mine, and I now am a firm believer in tops at all times.
I got some craft mesh and line the lid.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #112 
Rilly10

I have dwarf water lettuce floating which takes up most of the gap. Not sure if it would keep in a determined jumper but it does take up the space. If the water level is high enough I can a put them right in the opening and they re contained there by the lid.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #113 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilly10 View Post
I have dwarf water lettuce floating which takes up most of the gap. Not sure if it would keep in a determined jumper but it does take up the space. If the water level is high enough I can a put them right in the opening and they re contained there by the lid.
If your water level is so high that the floaters are contained in the open lid space, you should check your filter chamber and make sure you aren't overflowing from the sponge side into the pump chamber at the top. If you are, you are NOT being filtered, you're just creating flow.

As far as a lid or covering goes, a sheet of glass over the hole would be best. It can just sit there if you don't have children or animals that will knock it loose. Make sure edges aren't sharp! Some silicone, sandpaper, or masking tape will help with that, depending on your preference. Craft mesh, etc, will block the light, but clean glass will be fine.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #114 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
If your water level is so high that the floaters are contained in the open lid space, you should check your filter chamber and make sure you aren't overflowing from the sponge side into the pump chamber at the top. If you are, you are NOT being filtered, you're just creating flow.

As far as a lid or covering goes, a sheet of glass over the hole would be best. It can just sit there if you don't have children or animals that will knock it loose. Make sure edges aren't sharp! Some silicone, sandpaper, or masking tape will help with that, depending on your preference. Craft mesh, etc, will block the light, but clean glass will be fine.
Actually, I used the polyester mesh that they use for ballerina tutu or Holy Communion veil, or wedding veil, for my covering. i picked the ones with the largest holes. and they do not affect my lighting. I picked white color and used the green ones to wrap my java moss onto a rock.

Last edited by Otterfun; 04-24-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #115 
Rilly10

Thanks! It is just low enough that the tops of the leaves are contained, but the water is not too high to spill over chambers :)
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #116 
Mr2KiEu

post some pic guys! I'm getting bored of my tank, I need new ideas. lol
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #117 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Actually, I used the polyester mesh that they use for ballerina tutu or Holy Communion veil, or wedding veil, for my covering. i picked the ones with the largest holes. and they do not affect my lighting. I picked white color and used the green ones to wrap my java moss onto a rock.
Ah!!! When you said craft mesh, I immediately thought of the stuff everyone uses for dividers.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #118 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Ah!!! When you said craft mesh, I immediately thought of the stuff everyone uses for dividers.
sorry, i guess mine it's not called craft mesh then. yes, it a polyester fabric with holes, kind of like a butterfly net fabric
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #119 
Mar

I wish I still lived in the states
Was forced to buy my Fluval Spec here
And then I hear you guys are getting it for $63, I just want to take a small trip to usa and steal all your guys' everything!

Recently modified my Fluval Spec V.
I'll post pics up soon! :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #120 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I wish I still lived in the states
Was forced to buy my Fluval Spec here
And then I hear you guys are getting it for $63, I just want to take a small trip to usa and steal all your guys' everything!

Recently modified my Fluval Spec V.
I'll post pics up soon! :)
WHOA! $139.97?! Is that in US or Canadian dollars? You should definitely take a short trip to the US and stock up on fish supplies. Can't you buy from Petco, Amazon and other online stores and have it shipped to you in Canada for cheaper?
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec