Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Gobo, you can also lower the water level in his tank so that it is easier for him to get to the surface.

Fluval tanks are nice but they are also expensive. O.O A good Fluval tank to consider is the Fluval Spec III.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-Black-11-8/dp/B009K0ZKAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366256017&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+spec+3]Amazon.com: Fluval Spec III Aquarium Kit in Black, 11.8" L X 10.8" W 8.7" H: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

The only thing is the filter in this might be too powerful. I had the Fluval Spec V, which is a 5gal version, and the filter wasn't fit for a betta.

That he is still eating is a really good sign. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 
Gobo

Hi Sakura,

We began the second round of treatment this afternoon. He didn't look good this morning. Just laying there on his side a bit and staring up. And he had a piece of poo coming out of him. I think that's from the epsom salts. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't white and stringy.

I tried feeding him in the afternoon when we did the next round of medicine while I had him in his little cup. He initially tried going for the pellet but I think it was too big for him so he gave up and then wouldn't even look at the smaller ones I put in for him.

This evening he's at least in a different location each time I check in on him. Granted he's pretty much stationary but he's not laying on his side anymore. And he doesn't look bent.

A new concern however is that he's formed a small, what looks to be, bubble on the left side of his face. It started out maybe slightly bigger than the size of a needles point. But when I checked on him again not to long ago it looks to be getting bigger. It's about the size of a dull pencil point now. I'm not sure what's going on there but it can't be good.

I took your advice and lowered the water level some this afternoon to make it an easier swim for him to get air so thank you for that. :)

Indeed the Fluval tanks are expensive. Especially the nice seamless looking glass ones. The one you linked to looks like the one my mom has her Betta in but I don't think the sides of hers are glass so it's probably not a Fluval. The filters are a scary thing if too strong. I get visions of Nemo being sucked up into the filter on Finding Nemo. :(

I'm going to try and see if I can get him to eat again before I go to bed. Fingers crossed. I'm a nervous wreck because my husband and I are going out of town this weekend on a trip planned months ago so Gobo is going to be alone from Friday late afternoon until Sunday evening. :/ My mom is already doing babysitting duty while we're gone for my nearly 18 year old renal failure dog on top of taking care of all of her own elderly dogs. So I couldn't ask her to watch my sickly fish on top of all that. I'm just hoping to see improvement with him by tomorrow.
Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Hi Gobo. Poor little guy, he sounds like he is exhausted. You're doing everything you can do for him so take heart in that.

That spot on his face is a bit troubling. It sounds like an ulcer forming which can be indicative of several different types of bacterial diseases. None of them are good and at least one is very very bad: mycobacteriosis. There's a good chance that what he has can't be treated by any medications now. :( But all you can do is try and know that you're doing everything you can and giving him love and care.

I hope you have a safe trip. :)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #14 
Gobo

Hi Sakura,

I just wish I had come to this site sooner since it may be too late now.

I tried feeding him a pellet and floated it down in front of his face but no interest at all.

I was afraid of disheartening news with the bubble on his face. I'm glad I'm doing all I can to keep him comfortable. But I'm not ready to give up the good fight yet. Let's suppose it isn't the very very bad kind of bacterial infection. What can I do to combat it in the hopes it's a lesser degree of infection? I finish out his General Cure medicine of course. There's one more step to it after this which is some kind of 25% water change. I have to read it again when it comes time to do it. But after he's done with that should I try and treat for a bacterial infection with a different medicine? If so, what kind and do I keep doing the epsom salts with it? Or does the General Cure cover bacterial infections as well? If it does, then should I start the General Cure medicine process a second time after I'm done with this first one that we're in the middle of? Is so, should I wait a certain amount of time between before starting it again?

Again, thank you for all your help and advice through this. Even if I can't save him in the end, I can at least have peace of mind that I fought for his life.

Thank you for the safe trip wishes as well. With the torrential downpours, wind and thunderstorms set to deluge the US east coast tomorrow afternoon right at the time we're set to start our drive, we're going to need it. :/
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Using an antibiotic that is good for topical infections, like API Furan-2, might help but I hesitate to have you start him on meds until you return from your trip. If he can last those two days until then, try the Furan-2 in hopes that this isn't myco and is something else (lots of other diseases DO present ulcers as symptoms).

When you get back, you may want to also continue with a second course of the General Cure too; the meds can be combined. If he can tolerate it, I feel it's best to treat longer than the package recommends because we don't want anything to come back in force and resistant to medication, which can happen.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #16 
Saphira101

Hi Gobo. :)

It sounds like you're doing everything you can to help your little guy. I hope he pulls through.

I just wanted you to know that both the spongebob house and the Betta leaf hammock contain metal, which is toxic to fish when rusted. The wire inside the leaf hammock can easily pulled out using pliers and the hammock used like normal, but there is no way of removing the metal from the spongebob house and it should be taken out of the tank, if possible.

Good luck, and I hope your little guy pulls through!

~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #17 
Gobo

Hi Sakura,

Sadly, little Gobo passed away on Friday before we even left town for the weekend. Knowing now that he wasn't going to be able to recover from his illness, I'm glad that it happened before we left so that he wasn't floating around in his tank for two days and was able to have a proper burial shortly after his passing. It was a tear filled event but at least he's no longer in pain.

I want to thank you again for taking the time in instructing me intelligently on the correct courses of action to take in the care of Gobo. It's a wonderful and kind hearted thing you do by helping those of us out there with sick fishes and no one to turn to for desperate guidance. Especially to do it without asking for $. Its an odd thing nowadays where people don't want something in return for their time and reach out to help someone simply because they want to.

Thank you for all you do and please know that it's appreciated.

If the time comes that I'm ready for another fish, I will certainly come here for informative instruction.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #18 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry about your loss, Gobo. You did everything you could and I know when you are ready, you will give another betta a great home.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #19 
Saphira101

I'm sorry for your loss. :'(
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #20 
Gobo

Thank you Saphira. He was a good fish, little Gobo.