Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #1 
IonBaller07

Does you betta jump?

I went in to feed my bettas their pellets and I had one pinched in my finger. I was holding it about an inch above the water because I was waiting for my girl to turn around so she could see me drop it in. Then she turned and lunged out of the water and bit at my finger for the pellet. So naturally I tried to get her to grab the pellet. She wasnt that skilled so I just gave it to her. I tried itwith my maleto and he did the same thing. Their heads came about a half inch out of the water.

Are they not getting fed enough or does that just fit in with the whole begging betta thing, Is it bad for their health to make them jump.?
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, bettas do jump. There isn't anything wrong with it. Just a little bit too eager to get fed. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #3 
bigali

sounds eally cool to see. my bluw dwarf gourmi jumped when i was feeding it.. beta even cooler
bigali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #4 
Rikesh

yeah they do jump. One of my male betta jumps EACH time I enter my fish room. They'll do anything for some freeze dried blood worms :P
Rikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #5 
Nataku

Bettas are known jumpers (hence why their tanks need to be covered). I think it ultimately goes back to the fact they are carnivores, and feed on just about any bug or larvae they can get their teeth on. I'm sure bettas in their natural environment are well-versed in jumping out of the water to grab bugs resting on leaves that hang close to the water surface. Are they starving? I sincerely doubt it, bettas figure out 'begging' rather quickly.
Two of my current five are big on jumping. One of them is simply terribly impatient when it comes to food and will go for it as soon as he thinks you're close enough he can grab it off your finger. My other jumper generally does his best air time when it comes to the 'mirror game' that I play with my bettas once, or maybe twice a week. I've always found it quite funny that he hardly ever cares about the betta right next to him on the other side of the divider, but oh no, that fish in the mirror is simply the most infuriating thing ever, and he puffs himself out, dances back and forth, and will even jump out of the water in his attempts to 'get' that 'other betta'
he sees in the mirror. I really wish I were better with a camera, I'd love to somehow manage to catch a pic of him mid-leap in full flare.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote