Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 
Greylady

Pond or baby Zebra snail?

Hi everyone! This morning I found two very tiny snails in one of my tanks and I'm trying to determine if they are baby Zebra snails or Pond snails. I've tried to research them on the web but I can't tell the difference when looking at a pic of baby zebra snails and pond snails.

I know Zebra snails are suppose to be very hard to breed and need brackish water etc...

But... here's the story, I have two Zebra snails, one in each of my tanks. A couple months ago I had to treat one of my tanks and I was afraid the meds would harm my snail so I moved it to the other tank with the other snail. They spent the next few weeks attached to each other, then I found tons of the little white eggs stuck to everything, then today the new snails.

The thing is, I haven't added anything new to this tank in months and months. It's been set up since March 2012 (just over a year). It has live plants, but like I said, nothing new in a long time. Is it possible these are Zebra snails or more likely pond snails and how do I tell the difference? Do I need to wait untill they are larger to identify them? Should I remove them?

Thanks!
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
isochronism

i would remove them to their own separate container for a while and see what happens. I got a couple of pond snails in with a plant three months a go. I also was not sure of which snail they were. I left them in for a few days. I then realized that they were indeed PS and moved them out. I now have a container of over six dozen!!! And in the original tank I still suck out (turkey baster) a young snail every other day.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #3 
Silverfang

nerite snail eggs only hatch in brackish water. Not to mention they need both sexes to have viable eggs.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 
Chevko

When they get bigger, can you give us pictures?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #5 
Greylady

Thanks guys! I was looking again today and I have the sinking feeling that these are pond snails. :(

The more I look the more I see...they are in two of my three tanks....oh boy...I have a feeling this is going to be difficult to control. Guess I'll start with the lettuce trick since I dont want to go with chemicals to irradicate them and I dont want an assasian snail because I like my MTS and Zebra snails and put them in the tanks intentionally.

Chevko, I'll try to get a pic of one of the bigger ones but I'm not going to keep them in the tank...dont know what Ill do with them, keep them in a jar for now I guess, I dont know if I could crush them like they say but I know I cant just let them loose either...
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
i would remove them to their own separate container for a while and see what happens. I got a couple of pond snails in with a plant three months a go. I also was not sure of which snail they were. I left them in for a few days. I then realized that they were indeed PS and moved them out. I now have a container of over six dozen!!! And in the original tank I still suck out (turkey baster) a young snail every other day.
Thanks, guess thats where Ill start too! What are you going to do with 6 dozen? Arnt they going to keep multiplying? What do you feed them?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #7 
isochronism

You will need a belt with a holster on each side, with a turkey baster in each one...... HA.
Yeah I'm not sure what to do with them. I feed them a half of algae wafer or Omega One Kelp Flakes every couple days. They are in a clear Big Gulp type cup with a lid. I change the water every couple days. I was considering offering them to a friend who has a 15 foot round Goldfish Pond. A member here suggested that I should not release them since they are VERY invasive. I'll have to think this out :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote