Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can you bury a glass heater under substrate?

I have to buy some new heaters because I am upgrading. Thus far I have used non adjustable heaters due to price considerations. However I see some posted in reccomendations that are the same price currently. I don't like the appearance of heaters in the tank and I normally bury them under the gravel. The ones I use are flat. I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...duct_tab_stage

It says can be submerged and positioned horizontally but can I bury it?-Maybe put it in a corner and only have the light barely showing? Would this be too risky since it's a glass heater?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #2 
Starfish1

No, I have the same one and a picture on the back of the box says not to bury it under substrate. You can suction it horizontally to the tank though so maybe you could hide it behind some plants?

It's a great heater though.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

I do have sponge filters. Would it get too hot to position it behind one of them? At least I could camoflauge both at once.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

the heaters shouldn't get hot ~ after all bettas snuggle up next to them all the time!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 
isochronism

By placing the heater in a corner and planting a large Java Fern in front of it, may hide it well.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

What about putting it low and horizontal at the bottom of the tank, that might make it easier to hide with plants or decor?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I dont see why not... I stick the bottom of mine into the substate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Since it does not get really hot I am thinking of making a craft mesh tube to put around it and that should safeguard the glass against accidents-say should accident bump it hard with AQ deco but allow me to put gravel around it. I don't bury my heater deep I just put enough gravel on it to make it blend in.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm not sire whether that will be a good idea :O the heater wont be able to measure the water temperature of the entire tank properly in such an enclosed space