Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #1 
Bettafish

Serious

OK if u love betta fish then u will respond if u dont well.....

I need help thinking of resons to get a second fish to tell my mother so i can get one. she says no but i really want a female,to breed so i need reasons please help!
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #2 
Campbell

Getting a second fish and breeding are two VERY different things.

I think it would be fine to get a female. If your mom is kinda undecided about offer to pay for everything and make a point to show her how responsible you can be.

But breeding is a very large task. There can be over 100 fry and you need several tanks. It certainly isn't for beginners. I would recommend starting with livebearing guppies. Easier, and in my opinion more fun.

Last edited by Campbell; 04-21-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #3 
Bettafish

i need to get a second fish first
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

Sadly, if she won't even let you have a second fish, she's probably not going to let you have the 10 gallon tank you need to breed them or the dozens and dozens of gallon tanks you'll need after you have the babies, or the space for the food you'll need to grow to feed the babies.
What will you do with all the fry when you breed them?
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #5 
JingleAllTheWay

Well, if your mom isn't really hyped up about getting a second betta I highly doubt she'll want you to breed. You can offer to pay for everything and make sure you'll do all the cleanings and feedings. But if that doesn't work, listen to your mom.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #6 
Bettafish

jingle ill try that
Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Breeding is a lot of work and responsibility. You need proper food for the fry and individual containers to put the babies in once they get bigger.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #8 
Nataku

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
OK if u love betta fish then u will respond if u dont well.....

I need help thinking of resons to get a second fish to tell my mother so i can get one. she says no but i really want a female,to breed so i need reasons please help!
How about you try spelling properly if you care for bettas that much, so we don't have to spend several minutes trying to translate what it is you are asking?

And you are obviously not prepared for breeding, so it is you, and not us, who needs to stop and think about the fish, and whether or not your really care for them, or have just been struck by a fad. It is your mother's house, and you live in it by her good graces, so you would do well to listen to her. You do not need to breed bettas, you merely want to. Go do some research.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #9 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
How about you try spelling properly if you care for bettas that much, so we don't have to spend several minutes trying to translate what it is you are asking?

And you are obviously not prepared for breeding, so it is you, and not us, who needs to stop and think about the fish, and whether or not your really care for them, or have just been struck by a fad. It is your mother's house, and you live in it by her good graces, so you would do well to listen to her. You do not need to breed bettas, you merely want to. Go do some research.
I must agree with the above. Perhaps you should instead consider getting another male in a 3-5 gallon tank. That will be MUCH easier(and less absurd for your mom) than trying to breed them. Did you consider what will happen if they DO breed?

You sound pretty young. I don't think you have the means to breed Bettas right now.

What are people's obsessions with breeding animals? If such a thing didn't exist, we probably wouldn't need animal rescues, foster homes, and shelters that are forced to euthanize healthy animals.

Seriously, Bettas are only a few dollars each - I bet you could find some for free if you just posted on craigslist. They're everywhere. I don't imagine you need so many that you have to breed your own.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with katie and Nataku.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote