Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 
tsukiowns

Cycling a tank

Ok so i got fed up with my 10g divided 3 ways it got to hard to clean and my plants got to big.. so i decided to get a new 10 gallon tank and divide it in two and put one of the betta fish from my 3 way tank in it and my lonely boy in my 2.5 tank in it as well... my question is... my 3 way tank is due for maintenance in a few days.. its got algae on it again so i decided to do the bi annual 100% water change and re arrangement.. just to spice things up for the little ones... since i have a cycled tank i was wondering if i could mix the gravel from all 3 tanks and rinse it out then split it among the 2 ten gallon tank to help the new tank cycle itself faster.. idk if yall have done this before but some advice would surely set my mind at ease... i will also transfer some of the live plants into the tank as well... both tanks will have a 10g filter and a 5g filter on either side as well as a 50watt heater in the center.. and live plants of course because mu boys love the jungle feel they create... the plants are water wisteria and i might move some crypts but not sure because they finally seemed to have established in the tank. what yall think about mixing the rock of all the tanks to help establish bacterial in the new tank for the nitrogen cycle faster... as well as from the other two tanks where the fish currently live in... thanks for the help in advance
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Alot of people actually use substrate from their old tanks to help speed up another tank's cycle so there's definitely nothing wrong with it. Just make sure your fish from your old tank don't have any illnesses or anything so you won't spread it to the other tank. That aside, if you rinse it, rinse it with dechlorinated water (but I'm sure you know that with experience in cycling a tank).
If you're moving plants, I think it's a great idea as well. They're going to grow anyway and plants are great for your water quality. My tip on that would be to make sure you remove any plants the way you should (ex. clippings from wisteria) so that way you can let some stay in your one tank and transfer others that will most definitely grow in your other tank. So long as you don't take too much from a plant, clipping them and keeping them groomed helps the plant want to grow so it'd be another reason to go ahead and transfer some of your plants.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 
tsukiowns

yeah i had my fight with fin rot but it was long gone and i imminently quarantine a fish if i see any signs of tear that dont look like normal tail bites, which i become used to recognizing, lost a few back when i was young to tail rot that turned to body rot.. i had no clue how to treat it it was a bit traumatic to be honest so i dont want to go though that again... thanks for the advice on the plants... due to school and busy life they grew to much and now look like a wild rice patty... my fish love it but i hate it because its to hard to clean hahaha......

yeah i have to prepare some water i have a collectively around 25-30 lbs of gravel so lots of water i will be needed i was planing on putting all in a bucket and adding some clean dechlorinated water and then dumping it out so it can take some of the debris and some of the waist i could have missed due to the plants

thanks for setting my mind at ease about that i had never done it before so i was not too sure about it
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Hehheh, it's cool ^.~ I remember when I first joined the site I'd read quite a few threads here and there asking and talking about the same exact thing.. Some people like to take gravel, put it in a mesh bag (like that one cloth for straining cheese.. I forget what it's called >.<) or even use a pair of stockings and let it sit in their tank. One of the more better places (I'd like to think so at least) people like to put the small bag of gravel in or an old piece of a filter from their established aquarium is in their new filter next to their newer filter media- as it's one of the main sources of nitrates the bacteria likes to colonize on.
And if your plants are that wild and crazy it sounds like it'd be convenient to move clippings to your other tank xD
And also, I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but if you do rinse the gravel definitely make sure you don't rinse too much/hard. That way you won't lose most of the beneficial bacteria and your effort won't be for not.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #5 
tsukiowns

yeah the i read something about pitting gravel in a mesh or a cheese strainer before specially if you dont want the gravel to mix and i also heard about using an old filter system to avoid cycling as a whole.. but i prefer to just mix my gravel up... yeah i was just gonna pour in and pour out to get the bigger stuff out definitely not agitating the gravel because then, like you mentioned, i would defeat the purpose of using old gravel... yeah the plants got really big i have had to do drastic pruning.. so much so that i put clippings from a month ago in a 2.5 tank and now i need to not only clip the mother plant again but also the 2.5 tank... i was planing on selling locally but never got around to it..
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Cheese strainer!! That's what the name was!!! >.<

*ahem*... >.>;;...
Oh, I got ya. I, for some reason, didn't realize you meant actually mixing the gravel IN xD lol... that'll work just fine... It'd be kinda like when some people use ornaments from old tanks to establish bacteria so I wouldn't consider it any different...
And wow, you've got some pretty super powered plants to grow that much xD And if you were going to sell them, maybe it'd be a good idea to do it during the summer? You wouldn't be as busy with school and it's usually one of the best times of year to sell plants/there will be tons of plant buyers looking!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #7 
tsukiowns

yeah they are fast ones... really good to know about summer being peek season might just cut some and see what i can muster up and put out a local add for it.. hopefully get some money that i lost form other failed plant attempts :(...