I'm worried my new fish is sick. I figured he would be because I just got him for walmart and he didn't really look great (none of them did) but since i"ve gotten him home he's been EXTREMELY active (I've had him for three or four days. I've never really seen him sleep or rest for more than a few seconds or so) I was almost worried he was TOO active. He spent all his time either flaring at nothing (or his reflection or something) or zipping around the edges of the tank, seemingly contendedly. He was doing this last night when I went to bed (which was extremely late. Like 3 am) and when I woke up this morning at about 10, he was just kind of floating at the top. It didn't concern me much at first because I figured he would have to rest eventually but he hasn't become anymore active and it's 12:30 now.
I looked him over really well with my bike light and didn't notice anything. However, just a bit ago I notiched he has some weird transparent thing seemingly attached to one of his gills or somewhere around there. It looks like a fungus hyphae or some kind of algae. It's totally transparent and rather small (probably about half an inch long, but really thin) there's no way I would have noticed it was there but it happened to get a bubble attached to the top of it and so then when my fish swam down he had this mysterious bubble always following right above his head.
Anybody have any ideas?
Oh, also, there is a little bulge where (I think) his swim bladder is. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It's not very large and when he does swim, he swims perfectly normally.
Here's this first post info thing:
1. Size of aquarium: 5 gallons
3. How long the aquarium has been set up: 4 or 5 days
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium: Two. I don't know what they're called. "something grass" from petco.
6. What temperature is the tank water currently: A slight bit over 80. However, I just got the thermometer last night. It was a slight bit over 80 when I went to bed, but when I woke up it was probably 83-ish. Quite warm, anyway. I since turned it back down. This might ahve something to do iwth it.
7. What make/model filter are you using: I don't know. It hangs off the tank. I only use it at night when his light is off or at certain times of the day. The current it too strong, but my house is really cold so I have it on somtimes to mix up the water because the temp at the bottom gets way cooler than the temp at the top if i don't.
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day: Not really
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed: I've only done one so far and it was about 30 percent. That was yesterday.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish: I fed him about 5 or 6... MAYBE 7 of those hikari betta bio-gold pellets for the second and third day I had him. Yesterday I did a lot of reading about betta illnesses and saw that many could be attributed to overfeeding so I decided to only feed him one yesterday. I haven't fed him yet today since he seems a little off.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on: This really crappy dim ish bulb that came with the tank. It's incandescent. It's probably on most days at least 12 hours. A bit more.
I might just be overreacting, but any help or info would be appreciated. could it have to do with how hot his tank got last night?