Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #11 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidword
I think someone told me or I read that putting a mirror near him would keep him flaring, I thought that was cruel, no??
Interesting. It's not cruel. In fact, this allows the betta to get enough break from boredom and try to get a few activity out of it. Just remove the mirror after a few minutes. Letting it stay longer in the tank will only exhaust the betta due to constant flaring. If I make conclusions with betta tanks in lfs, the tanks are often covered from each other to prevent the bettas from constantly flaring against each other which can be exhausting.

I watch one movie which has bettas being forced to fight in one tank. Both were exhausted to death after constantly fighting while the man does nothing but watch to see who wins. This is one thing I considered an animal abuse.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #12 
bettababy

I will agree with the bigger isn't better with a betta. The most important thing to remember is that bettas breath air from the surface. This is one reason we can get away without a filter, they don't need the oxygen content in the water the way other fish do. Bettas also stress badly if not in a decorated tank, or if the tank is too big... and filters also tend to stress them out. Most bettas in a tank with a filter will hide constantly behind the intake tube and refuse to come out, even for food. They get sick this way very quickly.
The 1 gallon tank should do him fine, but I would add decorations and keep up on the water changes. Watch the temp, although they are known for survival in "room temp" water, everyone's idea of room temp can be a bit different. To be more accurate, bettas do well from 70 - 90 degrees fahrenheit. If room temp falls below 70, they tend to get sick. A sick betta in a tall tank means a betta that can easily suffocate because it can't get to the surface for air. Sadly enough, I've seen this happen too many times. It's not a pretty sight.
I have been keeping and breeding bettas for over 8 years now, and have tried many different environments. I have always had the best of luck with 2 - 5 gallons, anything larger and they seem to get too stressed. I surely wouldn't work with more than 10 gallons.
Hope this helps!
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #13 
Squidword

Blue, What kind of movie was that?!?! That is so mean! :(
I will try the mirror thing. Will not leave him alone with it. Could get ugly Thanks!

Dawn, so I may have to upgrade Mario into a 2 gallon and add a plant or something. He is so easy to please :P So much personality to. Very interesting fish indeed. Thanks for the info.
Squidword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #14 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidword
Blue, What kind of movie was that?!?! That is so mean! :(
Will look for the Entertainment newspaper pages later and keep you posted on the movie title.:) It was made probably in 1980s but the fact that bettas are being made to fight ticks me off.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote