Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #1 
Bizzycakes

Questions on well water

Since I've had my Bettas I've been buying the pretreated water from the pet store but since I'll soon be having a 10 gallon and 2 5 gallons it seems way too costly to continue down that route. We have well water which is supposedly chlorine free and I tested it with (I know they aren't reliable) the API 5 in 1 test strips which give you a ph, nitrite, nitrate, carbonate and general hardness reading. The results were
GH - 60
KH - 240
PH - between 7-8
nitrite 0 and nitrate 0.
So my questions for you fishy experts are will it be alright to add water conditioner just in case there are traces of chlorine in the water and how are my levels according to this strip result? I know ph should be as close to 7 as possible but I know nothing about gh and kh O_o Also, if they are way outta whack what can I buy to treat the water with to make it perfectly livable for my babies =] Thanks in advance
Bizzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, the only things you really need to worry about are ammonia, nitrites, nitrates; the Ph is good to know in some instances but mostly I don't even bother with it. I would also test for ammonia. So long as you use a good water conditioner your well water should be fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
SnowSong

I've heard well water can have a lot of minerals in it. You might want to treat it with the kind of water conditioner that detoxifies heavy metals. :)
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #4 
Myates

Also metals.. well water will vary depending on each well, to be safe I would just go ahead and use a water conditioner that treats for chlorine, ammonia and heavy metals to be on the safe side. It won't harm the fish using it with well water at all. Well water generally is good to use, so you really have no worry about it :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #5 
Bizzycakes

Thanks for the replies guys =] I'll get to finding what you suggested
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 
Bizzycakes

Hey guys I hope someone see's this as I didn't want to clog the forums with another nooby post XD I bought the Seachem Prime to treat my water but it says a cap full is enough for 50 gallons?! Holy mother... My container for water is 2 gallons O_o So how much would I add? I figured I would probably need to buy a dropper but what's your recommendation on amount per gallon? Lordy Lordy these fish will be the death of me!! And on top of the new 5 gallon, heater and water conditioner I might have brought a spunky little girl home too XD Thanks again in advance and I will search the forums to see if I can find the answer before anyone see's this
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

It takes 2 drops per gallon of prime. I just put enough in the cap to cover the bottom of the cap, I don't worry about being exact because its difficult to overdose prime.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote