Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #1 
bettaluver14

Angry Cycle... Getting worried -.-

OKAY now I'm getting impatient with my 10gal cycle. Today is day 62........ meaning tomorrow marks day 63=9 WEEKS of cycling! I'm getting quite frustrated my ammo isn't going to 0 in 24hrs it is still going to 1ppm and me having to dose it back up.
my nitrites have been staying at 0 for the past week. my nitrAtes staying at a steady 80ppm. so things look great except for that stupid Ammo! What can i do/is there ANYTHING i can do to speed up my cycle NOW?!?!
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you done any water changes? Have you checked your Ph? How often are you testing & what kind of test kit are you using? Have you done anything with the filter media?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #3 
bettaluver14

[quote=shellieca;1900929]Have you done any water changes? yah, I have done 3 water changes.Have you checked your Ph? Yep, stays at 7.3 (infact i just tested it around 10mins ago) How often are you testing & what kind of test kit are you using? daily and the API master test kit (drops not strips) Have you done anything with the filter media? no i thought i leave the media alone to allow it to build up BBs...?

extra question: do PWCs hurt a cycling tank? and if not how many should i do? i didn't wanna disturb the cycle but on the other hand i hope i didn't stall it by not doing enough PWCs.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

When fish less cycling you do very few water changes. Only do a water change if Ph drops too low or the other parameters are off the charts. If you're using a good water conditioner your cycle wouldn't be effected by a PWC. I'm stumped on why you're still showing ammo. How long have the nitrates been at 80? High nitrates for more than a week could stall the cycle. You may want to do small (<50%) water changes daily to get the nitrates to 20 or less.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #5 
bettaluver14

i'm stumped and angry too!! my nitrates have been at 80ppm for 20 days now UGH my dad is getting mad too he was like: this stupid cycle isn't going anywhere; just give up. UHM i will never give up on this since i have 5 neon tetras and a male betta waiting for a beautiful tank!
i notice 20 days of high nitrates could be the problem. i never knew i had to do a PWC to keep them down i thought them being high was good sign for the cycle! :c
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

It is good to some degree but they shouldn't stay that high for 20 days. Have you tested your tap water? I would do the small PWC's to bring them down & see if that helps things move along. At this point it won't hurt.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #7 
bettaluver14

Okay i just did a 25% WC.... should i test my nitrates now?

well i did and they're the same -.- i'm seriously mad.

Last edited by bettaluver14; 04-28-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

A series of small water changes will get them to drop but it can take a while since your tank is newly cycling. I have a 46g, when the nitrates spiked it tooke me a couple of weeks to get the nitrates down to normal. Now they stay around 10. You can do 50% water changes so long as you're using a good water conditioner. I know its frustrating, I have a 10g I've been cycling for 2 months now, can't get it to test good yet while the 5g I started around the same time has completely cycled but I'm doing a fish in cycle. I've learned to not over think it & just let it do its thing.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #9 
bettaluver14

Im getting impatient 😂 this is sooo annoying!!!!!! Its almost getting stressful.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #10 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
Okay i just did a 25% WC.... should i test my nitrates now?

well i did and they're the same -.- i'm seriously mad.
Sorry if someone mentioned this but have you checked your tap water (or whatever water you get for your tank) for nitrates yet?
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote