Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #11 
MarieBettaMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeauvin View Post
it was just a 50-watt heater with a twisty temp setter on the top
I stopped by the pet store to look for filter cartridges after dropping off DD at school this morning. They did not have the one I needed, not even an empty hook to indicate that it is something they normally stock. It's weird cuz they sell the aquarium that uses the Size Z filters.

Anyhow, while at the store I found the airline tubing you were referring to earlier (didn't notice it during my visit 3 days ago) and I also looked at heaters. I think I saw the one you got, it's all black, with a red twisty temp setter on the top, sells for about $35. I don't remember the brand name. They had the 50-watt heater in stock. Looking at the table on the back of the package, it indicates that the 25-watt heater is good for up to 8 gallons (iirc) and the 50-watt heater is good for up to 15 gallons (iirc). The store did not have any 25-watt heaters in stock.

So here's my question:

Will a 50-watt heater be too big in a small 2 gallon tank?
(making it overheat or something? be too hot? ... another thought just occurred to me, I should have made a note of how tall the 50-watt heater was to see whether it will fit in my tank)

I'm thinking it might be safer to get the 25-watt heater.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #12 
MarieBettaMom

THANK YOU for posting photos, this helps me understand the frozen food feeding.

Question: Where did you get that pipette/syringe?
(I don't remember seeing something like that at the store)

I went back to the pet store today and took a closer look at the frozen offerings. I was kinda grossed out by the bloodworms. (yeah, I'm a wimp, I freak out whenever I see a spider in the room) Oh well, at least the worms are not live and squirming around.

The frozen foods are about 1 cm cube.

Question: How much of that cube would you feed to one Betta?
I'm wondering whether it might be easier to manage portion control by going with freeze-dried treats instead.

Quote:
Ammonia is heavier then water, So siphon from the 4 bottom corners first
Thanks for this bit of info, it is something I hadn't read anywhere else before. Interesting and good to know!

----

Oh, I just thought of a totally unrelated question for everybody. I read in another post somewhere that Tetra brand is good for water conditioner. So I looked at these at the store and saw:

-- Tetra Betta Safe, 1.69 oz, $4.49
-- Tetra Aqua Safe, 3.38 oz, $4.99
-- Tetra Aqua Safe, 8.4 oz, $7.99

Question: Is there a difference between "Betta Safe" and "Aqua Safe"?
I'm guessing it's just a "marketing" thing and that both products are identical. So I think I can safely get the Aqua Safe, which seems more cost effective.... probably the 3.38 oz bottle, since the 8.4 oz bottle looks like way too much for a 2 gallon tank.

Last edited by MarieBettaMom; 04-24-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #13 
Chicklet

The pipettes came with test kits, (nitrites, nitrates etc)

I dump in about 3 cubes to my 24 female community every day,

a single betta I would estimate about 1/4 to 1/2 of those pipettes,
a cube should last you 4 days to a week, depending on your betta and what you decide to feed,
I rarely feed any dried or flaked foods and I never have any problems,
Eventho some of my female's bellies look like little marbles once there thru eating, It's always gone by next feeding....

When I fed mostly freeze dried and/or flakes it sometimes took days to reside, Thats one big reason I turned over to mostly frozen foods...Ain't regretted it yet, Best thing I ever did I think.

Freeze dried is always a bloat hazard, as is flaked, just to a lesser extent.

I use Aqua plus tap water conditioner for all my fish,
you can get it in several sizes,
$9.00 for a 16 fl oz bottle and does a heck of a lot of water changes.
you can get it in a size smaller (don't remember the cost) and a gallon size, (which I buy)
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried should be soaked in some water before feeding to prevent digestive problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #15 
MarieBettaMom

I'm wondering why fish food isn't labeled with instructions. Sure, it says to feed the fish and remove any remaining food that isn't consumed within minutes.

But the freeze dried foods don't explicitly tell you to rehydrate it before feeding to fish. And I don't think the frozen foods explicitly tell you to thaw in tank water. I guess this is all very obvious, however not so much for the beginner.

I had to order my filter replacements online because the store didn't have them in stock. Of course lots of other stuff fell into the shopping cart before I checked out ... heater, digital thermometer, food, water conditioner, and a biowheel. I know they say the biowheel does not need to be replaced, but I thought it would be a good idea to start from scratch again because the one I have is old & hasn't been used in a long time, so I'm not sure if it is still effective.

You can see a photo of George here, it was taken on Day 2. How do you get them to flare their fins for photos?

Oh, I think George "stalks" the water surface after feeding time to see if there's any more food coming. It's funny to watch.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I found out about rehydrating freeze dried food from other members of the forum.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #17 
Chicklet

Frozen is far superior to freeze dried,
But of course frozen is not always an option for some folks.

And then of course nothing beats fresh. :)
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, I know frozen is much better for them but freeze dried is less messy too.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #19 
Campbell

I used freeze dried. It just works better for me, and believe me I've never had any complaints! If it wasn't for the information on this site I would not have known to rehydrate either, though.

Edit: I guess it's also worth mentioning that I use only Hikari brand freeze dried foods. They are much higher quality than other brands. Some dried foods are terrible.

Last edited by Campbell; 04-25-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #20 
MarieBettaMom

Do you also rehydrate pellets before feeding?

I keep seeing mention of Hikari brand here, so I ordered some Hikari Bloodworms and Hikari Brine Shrimp. I figure the FD will be easier for my DD (she's 4) to feed.

Does anyone feed fresh food? Just wondering.

Hmmm...wonder if my pet store sells live brine shrimp. I imagine it would be quite interesting to watch Bettas go after them. (And does anyone remember how they used to try to sell brine shrimp as "Sea monkeys"?)