Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 
KKCOTNER

Moving Our Betta Dougi from 1 Gallon to 5 Gallon! Help us Make The Move!!

Morning ya'll......

I am new to the forum ....but found the site about a couple a days ago and so glad I did or our Betta Dougi would Frozen his hiney off.....so now he has a heater and some nice marbles and a cave.......and seems to be fairly content....making bubble nests....which i had at least 4 bettas in the past that never did that.....long story.....i didn't know about your site....lets just say i was uneducated about beta's....oh by the way our local pet store here in Lousiana say you guys are betta fananatics....well i guess i just joined the group....LOL.....ok so....we are moving Dougi to a 5 gallon Marineland Hex Tank today with a filter and an oxygen pump(which i don't know if we need??) I want to make a smooth transition for him and not kill him......and do we need to leave a more room at the top for him to make his bubble nests??? The water has been sitting over night with conditioner and is a balmy 82 degrees.....so what is the best way to move our watery friend?? Ok so I have decided that Dougi got lost in transport he was really meant to go to a high dollar pet store and instead went to Walmart lol.....So the only thing i have found in two weeks that he will eat is frozen yes you guessed it....bloodworms...... i have $20 worth of pellets that he won't eat.....Going back to pet store today to find him something more nutritious other than bloodworms....cause last night i dreamed his stomach exploded and he had pop eye......OY! Thanks you guys!!!
KKCOTNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #2 
Briz

To move him, you'll want to acclimate him to the new, warmer water temperature by floating him in a small container of his old water in the new water. After about 15-30 minutes, you can start adding a little of the new water to his old water. Wait 15-30 minutes again. Repeat adding new water until most of the water he's in is the same as the water he'll be going in. About 30% new water three times should be good.

Your betta will eventually get hungry enough to eat the pellets. Bloodworms should not be his only diet. Don't get freeze-dried food as these should be used as treats only. One my my bettas would not eat ANYTHING except flakes, which he loves. You may try that.

As for nutritious food, a lot of users here recommend the brands New Life Spectrum (which Walmart probably doesn't carry) or Omega One. Omega One makes betta food in both pellet and flake form.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 
KKCOTNER

Thanks Briz!!! I will try the Flakes!!! Once we get him acclimated to his new home can we add any fish or snails to his 5 gallon tank or would need a larger 10 gallon to add snails...etc.....What about the hood? Do we need to leave extra space for him....and not worry with the oxygen??
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 
KKCOTNER

And I read on Sticky's page we need Aquarium salt is that correct??
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 
VJM

If he is in a cycled tank right now, and doing well, I would cycle your new tank before you put him in there. Fishless cycling is much less of a headache for you and the fish.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello KK and welcome to the forum we are happy to have you.

What sticky did you read that you needed Aq. salt ? That is not true you do not need to add any salt to your water.

I have that same type of tank but it did not come with a oxygen pump, you really dont need it. You could add a snail to your tank but be sure and read up on the many types and see which would be best for you and your Betta. Some Betta do not mind the snails but other try and eat them. I have some pond snails in my tank that came off some plants I put in. My Betta did eat one but I dont think he liked how it taste and he kept spitting it out...lol Now he only knocks them off his plants and the walls of his tank..lol
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #7 
Briz

The thing about snails is that a lot of them are good at multiplying, and they poop a lot! So be careful if you don't want to overload the system. A nerite or mystery snail in a 5 gallon with your betta would likely be fine!

Note sure what other fish you could include in 5 gallon with a Betta. An African Dwarf frog would work, but you'd have to look up their care. (Good forum here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....can+dwarf+frog)
The issue with the Betta eating the food before the frog can get it can be avoided if you net the frog for each feeding, keeping the frog/net in the water, and dangling his food in front of him in there. Worked well for my frog.

AQ salt is only recommended to have on hand as lots of owners use it for conservative treatment to various betta problems. It shouldn't be added to the water unless there is a problem with your betta's health and the recommended action is to add a little.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote