Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #1 
Indefinitive

Bare?

So, when I cleaned Gregory's tank the other day, I cleaned EVERYTHING down to each and every rock that was on the bottom. Moving them all out sure stirred up a lot of I don't even know what, but it got me wondering. Is it okay to leave the bottom of the tank bare? I don't have anything that really needs to be rooted in the bottom of the tank, and I was thinking of putting a few marbles on the bottomfor him to roll around. Has anyone else gone this route with leaving the bottom bare?
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #2 
Chicklet

I have a plenty that are bare, Makes for far easier cleaning that way, Especially small tanks.

Absolutely nothing wrong with bare bottoms, I have several with balls for the fish to play with, and odd stuff like that, Go for it!
It's really whatever each person prefers,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #3 
LaniBaby

I think the bottom just has to do with making it look pretty in between cleanings so you don't see junk all over it. It probably is much easier with nothing on the bottom so if you prefer that, there's no reason you can't.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #4 
Nataku

I leave several of my tanks bare-bottomed. The substrate collects a lot of crap and is often a pain to keep clean. I also feed my bettas live mosquito larvae about once a week, and you cannot have substrate in your tank when doing that, as the larvae will make a beeline for the bottom of the tank and hide in the substrate so the bettas can't eat them, and then won't come out again until the molt and turn into mosquitoes. With a bare bottom tank there is no escape for the larvae and the betta chase them around until they are caught and eaten.
Its also nice having a bare bottom tank to be able to keep a close eye on the bettas to make sure they are still pooping on a regular occasion and that its not turning any odd colors, so any potential disease can be caught as early as possible.
The bettas have decorations, caves and plants, and I think they care more about that than they do some sand, gravel or glass stones on the bottom.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #5 
Indefinitive

Okay, thanks, guys. =)

Oh boy, does he ever like that marble. xD
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #6 
Arpegius

I have a bottom bare too for my Guys!!! I hate the oddor of gravel after a week!!!!
Arpegius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use glass gems. They are easier for me to keep clean.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #8 
Indefinitive

Yep, definitely staying with the bare bottom tank. I dropped a few rocks down the drain when I was cleaning them last time. My boyfriend was not pleased, haha. The drain was backed up for three days until we could get the right wrench to fix it.