Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #51 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As long as you have adequate hiding spaces and lots and lots of plants then you'll be fine with 11 ^^

I think you should name the redhead Murika because America lol That's what I would name her at least ^^ And it's kind of cute as well. I will eventually have a red/white and blue Betta and name it Murika :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #52 
bniebetta

I wish I could have different sororites dedicated to different colors, tail types, genetic features, genres (movie character names, etc)!!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #53 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
As long as you have adequate hiding spaces and lots and lots of plants then you'll be fine with 11 ^^

I think you should name the redhead Murika because America lol That's what I would name her at least ^^ And it's kind of cute as well. I will eventually have a red/white and blue Betta and name it Murika :D
I have two more pieces of that drift wood so I guess I should start preparing them to go into my twenty gallon :) I also need to get more gravel....I find yet ANOTHER snail this time in my 10 gallon -___- I moved him over but now I cannot locate him :( he was a different kind of snail than the bladder snail. More like the ones you find at the edge of ponds. So I want to get more live plants but currently...I'm a little weary of whom to buy from. And to be honest the betta bulbs I buy from petco are the ones that seem to live the longest. But they do loose stems every so often and i just pick them off.

I wouldn't want to disgrace her with naming her Merica lol (or Murika). But that is a clever idea :) I'm naming the blue Paddie (for rice paddies) and my green new girl is actually developing blue tips and is slowly turning bluer I believe :P she's really gorgeous and I'm excited to watch her change colors!!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #54 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, that's fine, I won't meddle in your naming affairs :P And I love watching Betta's change color! It's always so nifty and sometimes very surprising!

Yeah, I also had bought an amazon sword from my LFS that I didn't realize had snail eggs on it. So they hatched and I suddenly found myself with a TON of snails....but them my girls devoured them so I have no more snails >< Which is a good thing and a bad thing, I'm very wearing about getting larger snails for that tank because I don't want to spend the money just for my girls to have a glorious snack, same with shrimp :( so I guess I'll just let my cories and pleco do their jobs for now!

I want to see pictures when everyone is settle in!!! :D
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #55 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I wish I could have different sororites dedicated to different colors, tail types, genetic features, genres (movie character names, etc)!!
That would be awesome!! You could introduce it like 'These are my double tails and over there are my marbles and we cannot forget the dragon scales!' :P hope your sorority is going well!!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #56 
bniebetta

Haha thanks!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #57 
Roemgie

Quote:
Haha, that's fine, I won't meddle in your naming affairs :P And I love watching Betta's change color! It's always so nifty and sometimes very surprising!

Yeah, I also had bought an amazon sword from my LFS that I didn't realize had snail eggs on it. So they hatched and I suddenly found myself with a TON of snails....but them my girls devoured them so I have no more snails >< Which is a good thing and a bad thing, I'm very wearing about getting larger snails for that tank because I don't want to spend the money just for my girls to have a glorious snack, same with shrimp :( so I guess I'll just let my cories and pleco do their jobs for now!

Yeah I have to admit that my naming bucket is bone dry for all of my incoming girls -____- ugh BUT My creativity is coming back slowly so I am starting to pick out some names :P I may even change Ceylon's name because i don't know if I really like it and it reminds me of Saline and my sisters name is Soline (So lean) and that's just not right lol

Yeah i got her as a freshly matured little girl from petco and she defiantly had the 'baby betta colors' with green coming in but I guess now it's changing to another color lol. My boy Socrates from walmart was a green betta with red fins and now he's got a black head blue with some green body and red fins with black tips -__- talk about a total turn around!!

So I could be possibly pointing the blame on my swordtail and can buy the other plants again?? lol some of my plants didn't make it either because they couldn't get roots, they couldn't stand the process of cycling my tank, or I had accidentally 'unearthed' them and took too long to put them back under (the plant that had that happen is currently in my 5 gallon and this morning my Bladder snail was going all over the dying leaves so I put some lettuce in there for him so he wouldn't eat my java fern!). So right now all I have are my petco plants, betta bulbs and what ever else I adopted lol.

And yeah I believe I see little baby bladder snails in my 5 gallon and now I'm worried because in 3 weeks I'll be picking everyone up, emptying both tanks and putting the gravel and water into a million plastic bags (I think I'll only transport about 50% of the water in both tanks...and then I'll have to start a whole new cycle of my 5 gallon for my boy Socrates) and then transport them to my new room for the summer....(I am hoping that it will work out and the cycle will take! If not I'll have to put 11 in my 10 gallon and do 100% water changes, with 50% in between, until the 20 is ready again!) And I really don't want to kill the snails by drying them out but if they're not big enough for me to find...then I really cannot do much because if those are snails they are tiny tiny.

But I will defiantly take pictures! Currently I'm clean my 20 gallon because we had our baby turtles in there and my mom just rinsed the tank out when we found them homes (we cleaned their poop and water every day). I was nervous about just putting my girls in the 20 gallon without bleaching it first so I had my dad bring it when he came to visit and now I'm doing the first step of bleaching and then letting it air dry and either in a few minutes or tonight I'll rinse it again and let it air dry. And if I cannot smell the turtles or bleach then I'll rinse it one more time before saying its good. But if I can smell either or both I'll be still cleaning -___-

Sorry for the massive reply!! I do have to ask a question, have you every moved a tank like I plan to. Bagging up the water, gravel, plants, etc. and then transporting them some where and setting up again? I only have 2 sponge filters going right now and I am thinking about putting my 3rd in my 5 gallon so it can establish itself so that when I move I'll have 3 established sponge filters instead of just two...but then again I want to wait because I figured I'd just start over with Socrates tank. Any suggestions?

And again sorry for this massive overload!!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #58 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
Haha thanks!
You're welcome :) let us know how it goes!!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #59 
Roemgie

Quote:

And I have to say I adopted 3 ghost shrimp way back in the day before I knew about cycling and had them with my first every fish, 10 tetras. Long story short I found someone to take my tetras and I moved the ghost shrimp to Socrates tank at the time...I only found what I thought was the exoskeleton but then I never located him again so I think Socrates ate him 0_0
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #60 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sucks about the ghost shrimp, they can also molt of which I happened to find their "skins" and thought they had died but then I looked and saw all 6 were still there. It was rather weird o.O

No, I haven't moved a tank like you are doing (fortunately for me) but I'm sure it will be fine. I do know that you can still keep about 25% of the water in there to keep the plants and substrate wet and whatever snails you have in there alive. And then what you do is just use Saran wrap and wrap it over the top, you can Scotch tape up the sides so that it stays. That way it keeps some of the humidity in as well as warmth and keeps the water from splashing out. Also if you keep the filters (assuming you only have sponge filters?) keep them wet and it should keep most of the bacteria alive until you get home. This will help kick start your cycle again.

Keeping all the water isn't as important since the BB doesn't thrive in the water column so I think you can scratch the idea of water in baggies haha. But if you keep your substrate, plants/ornaments and filters wet with conditioned water you should be set! And then of course your fish can go in other containers to be transported (I would use plastic-ware bowls with snap on lids or screw on lids and it should be good)

Also I'm fairly good at just spewing out names so if you give me a category or some sort of "genre" to work off of, I can just find names and spit them out. For example, artists, comic books (needs to be specific), tv shows, books, etc. :) Just in case you need a supply of potential names.