Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #11 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
I hate snails. They seem to make more of a mess than they clean up. They also have tons of babies, so many that they can eventually take over your tank.
Have you tried other species yet? Your statement is very broad. Not all snails breed that fast. You need to come up with experience first before you back the claims that every snail breeds that fast. Unfortunately, most people seem to think snails are disgusting rather than accept nature has in store for them. Overfeeding is the main cause and an indicator of your actions which is easily addressed but for some people, they still keep blaming the snails for what had happened.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #12 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Have you tried other species yet? Your statement is very broad. Not all snails breed that fast. You need to come up with experience first before you back the claims that every snail breeds that fast. Unfortunately, most people seem to think snails are disgusting rather than accept nature has in store for them. Overfeeding is the main cause and an indicator of your actions which is easily addressed but for some people, they still keep blaming the snails for what had happened.
I never said all species breed fast. I have had experience with the common Gold/Blue/Black/Ivory mystery snails, and simply said what I thoought of them because she asked if snails were a good idea. I never blamed the snails. I just wouldn't recommend them based on my experience with them. I also never said they were disgusting, only that they seem to breed fast. I don't consider that to be calling them disgusting, rather annoying. You are in titled to your opinion as am I.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #13 
ambria

I have 2 Apple Snails in my tank. No problems with anything, so far. No babies, no snail marks, no nothing except I do have a very clean tank.
ambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #14 
onekatietwo

Well, I've always really liked snails, but it sounds like it might not be a good choice at this point. Also, my tank doesn't really have a lid, just a hood and the hood has a hole in it for the heater and another for the filter and from reading some things, it sounds like they can weasel (or snail) their way out and die in situations like this. maybe I'll get one later.

They're just so cute, though!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #15 
Chicklet

I use to keep Apple snails,
My covers had the openings for the filter etc,
I never once had any snails leave the tanks.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #16 
ambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekatietwo View Post
Well, I've always really liked snails, but it sounds like it might not be a good choice at this point. Also, my tank doesn't really have a lid, just a hood and the hood has a hole in it for the heater and another for the filter and from reading some things, it sounds like they can weasel (or snail) their way out and die in situations like this. maybe I'll get one later.

They're just so cute, though!
Mine has places for the filter etc, and also the air tubes coming into the tank, but not once has my snails had any desire to come out. I see them on the glass and it seems like when they get to the top of the water, they just let go and fall. Not a problem for me.
ambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #17 
onekatietwo

What about with plants? I've been reading they'll eat all your plants up. Have you guys had this problem? I mainly have thinner leafed plants, so the snail might be to heavy to eat them anyway but...
Still, I'd hate to have my plants eaten!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #18 
Chicklet

I thought that too, Yet I never noticed any troubles with them eating any of my plants,
Couldn't see where they bothered them at all.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #19 
Twistersmom

I have bladder, apple, MTS, ramshorn, and nerite snails. None of them have harmed my plants.
From what I understand, they have to be very hungy to eat a healthy plant.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote