Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Cycle Lost

So, after the fiasco of trying (and not working) a nerite snail last Monday, it looks like I have lost my cycle.
I am getting readings of a little less than .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and now only 5ish nitrate.
I did have 20ppm nitrates but i guess i lost them.

Also, my betta has 2 tears in his tail fin (fiasco with snail) that I am treating with StressCoat+
So, my question is...should I wait until his tail heals before attempting to re-cycle with Tetra SafeStart?
I am currently doing 50% water changes with Prime and StressCoat+ every other day.
Will the StressCoat+ affect the SafeStart?? or do I need to make sure it is out of tank before adding SafeStart?
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 
bniebetta
Member
 
bniebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I'm not sure about the safe start, but have you thought about adding a plant to help balance the cycle?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I'm not sure about the safe start, but have you thought about adding a plant to help balance the cycle?
I don't know anything about plants and don't have the right lighting.
It's a 2.5 gallon, so not much space either.
I do have 1 marimo moss ball, and was considering getting another one.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #4 
ShukiAi
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
I don't know anything about plants and don't have the right lighting.
It's a 2.5 gallon, so not much space either.
I do have 1 marimo moss ball, and was considering getting another one.
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, any tank below 5 gallons doesn't hold cycles very well. Do you have a filter? If you don't, I know 1 - 50% and 1 - 100% water change every week is recommended.
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShukiAi View Post
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, any tank below 5 gallons doesn't hold cycles very well. Do you have a filter? If you don't, I know 1 - 50% and 1 - 100% water change every week is recommended.
No, they can hold a cycle. Yes, i have a filter since it was cycled, and i did 50% 1 time per week.

Anyone any ideas about the StressCoat+ and SafeStart?
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 
inuudo
Member
 
inuudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
If you have nitrates, you haven't lost your cycle. You might have lost some of your bacteria OR whatever happened in your tank with the snail increased the ammonia to a level that your bacteria couldn't handle. Either way, you just have to ride out a bit of an ammonia spike. I usually add Nutrifin Cycle or Seachem Stability to help out in those circumstances.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #7 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuudo View Post
If you have nitrates, you haven't lost your cycle. You might have lost some of your bacteria OR whatever happened in your tank with the snail increased the ammonia to a level that your bacteria couldn't handle. Either way, you just have to ride out a bit of an ammonia spike. I usually add Nutrifin Cycle or Seachem Stability to help out in those circumstances.
The thing is, it's been 6 days since the snail was removed...and I am still getting .25 ammonia (or maybe slightly under .25)
How long do you think the ammonia spike should last?
Also, since I am doing 50% changes every other day to help with his fins, is that why the nitrates are almost gone? I went from 20 to 5 after a few water changes.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #8 
VJM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Don't think of nitrates as beneficial, they are still a waste product. It is just that they are way less toxic than ammonia or nitrites. They do indicate that you have BB that are working away. It will probably just take a while for them to repopulate.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP with other tank cycle- totally lost! Ezzie Other Fish 7 03-01-2013 02:50 PM
Stalled Cycle or Just Impatient? Cycle Questions! WhiskeyHands Betta Fish Care 2 01-08-2013 12:42 PM
Lost another one... BettaxFishxCrazy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 8 03-24-2010 07:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.