Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #111 
Syriiven

I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm sure you did your best to give him a warm and comfortable home, regardless =)

Welcome to the contest.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #112 
Skyewillow

Welcome everyone, also, it's nice to see another lady betta in the contest!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #113 
Mar

All right, this rescue story is pretty unique as it takes place closer to home than I would have liked.

This pretty female (I have no clue what type, I suck at guessing with females, but I'm guessing doubletail bi colour dragonscale? Feel free to correct me xD) named Athena was in pretty good condition at a local Petland. Her colours hadn't come in yet, so we had no idea of what a catch we would get!

I wasn't really interested in a female, or another fish since I usually only took in males (but I'm starting to rescue/adopt females because I think they're adorable!) and my tanks were full. My mom wanted to start a sorority, so we had around 4 female bettas in a 10gal and Athena was the leader.

My mother took her betta addiction to a whole new level. She tried to improperly mate Athena with a different male every week. She did it wrong and I kept trying to to put an end to it and begged her to stop. It got really annoying and i was so upset with her to the point where I stopped talking to her.

In order to rescue Athena from her, I showed my mother that Solus (my male veiltail) had built a beautiful bubble nest. She put Athena in Solus' tank which is in my room, and left. As soon as she was gone, I took Athena out of Solus' tank and began to fervently get my hospital tank ready.
I treated the tank with AQ salt and BettaFix, as well as adding water conditioner. She had various rips in her beautiful fins from the males, and I really wanted to heal her up. I let her acclimate to the temperature and then slowly released her into the tank.

Hopefully I'll be able to convince my mom to leave her alone and allow me to take care of her. Eventually I will upgrade her tank because the hospital tank is only around 1 gallon. But for now, I'm happy I was able to rescue her from my own mother, and I will continue to treat her.

Thought this was a cool macro pic:

She's got a nice mossball and Java Fern in there so lots of plants to hide in :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #114 
Skyewillow

I'm rooting for you to keep her from all of the bad relationships!

Maybe you should print off breeding/conditioning information to show your mom that you can't just throw her in there! Poor little angel!

Last edited by Skyewillow; 04-28-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #115 
Syriiven

Wow, yeah. I hope this will have a happy ending.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #116 
Mar

I know!
I got her to listen to me about the Nitrogen Cycle by showing her this website so hopefully she'll listen to me again
But she's moving around a lot more than usual and looks perky and always begging for more food :p so she should be good and will heal up really well. From my experience, all my betta's fins have healed quite quickly, so hopefully she'll follow.

Last edited by Mar; 04-28-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: I said tails instead of fins.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #117 
bettafishgirl

Nice entries everyone!

Hey, is it to late to edit our entries? I just wanted to add some more information
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #118 
bniebetta

This is my baby girl Copperhead. While I went to visit my brother in CA, I stopped all along the way to find more girls to add to my sorority. I found this little pet store in Santa Ana that was really awesome, and actually had one tank just full of females. I was surprised that they were all able to cohabitate and looked reasonably healthy. Most of them were in the same color variety, and while there were some really neat ones, this is the one that caught my eye. She was probably the most plain out of all of them but I loved her double tail and she kept staring at me, so I snatched her up. The store owner came across as if I made a bad choice (her fins are red, but her body is brown-grey at best), but I have never regretted it. She is very curious and thoughtful, and has not caused any problems in the sorority so far (it's only day one so we'll see). I feel really close to her because I slept with her tucked in the blankets with me to keep her warm at my brother's ice cold house. On the 8 hour drive home, she sat on my lap to tone down the bumpiness of the road. Later when she settled in, I noticed that she sometimes swims in a snakelike pattern. Her eyes look just like a snake's, and I wanted to do a sort of tribute to Kill Bill, so I named her Copperhead. She is one of my favorite fish and I am so glad I brought her home with me.
Attached Images

bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #119 
Skyewillow

What a cutie!! Welcome to the Contest, Squeedorable Copperhead!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #120 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Hate these long contests lol need to wait so long to see who wins, and I am very impatient XD
I hate Mars story in the way since you mother is being so ignorant I want to strangle her! But good for you for standing up! I can't imagine rescuing a fish in my own mom because my mother is doing something wrong to it!
Great story's though everyone! I love this contest some stories are very inspirational!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote