Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Eating Disorder

Ok, my Caroline is model quality (speaking as a proud mom) but she has not grown much since I got her a month ago. Occasionally I would feed her a NLS or OO since I noticed that her mouth is not big enough to eat them. I usually feed her NLS Small Fish which she eats without problems.

Yesterday I fed her some NLS and OO and I found out that she spit the chewed up pellets about an hour later as if she was throwing up. The about 1/2hr later she would eat them again and repeat the process. Does she have Bulimia Nervosa? This is my only fish that have this problem.

This is my sorority, notice the food in the breeder box, she ate a dash (10 tiny dots) of NLS Grow and 1 NLS pellet

This is the closeup when I first got her in PetSmart cup a month ago:

Close up today:
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Have you tried any other foods? Most of my bettas used to spit up their food, eat it again... I also gave them frozen or live foods which they did not do that to.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Have you tried any other foods? Most of my bettas used to spit up their food, eat it again... I also gave them frozen or live foods which they did not do that to.
no i do not plan on feeding live/frozen food for fear of parasites. FYI, she just ate the food AGAIN...almost like playing with the food or something, we'll see how long she will spit it out again... bad, bad girl
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Some of mine play with their food if they are bored. Or they leave it for later
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

If you get the Hikari brand frozen food, it is guaranteed to be free of parasites. They have some sort of patented process where they cleanse it multiple times before packaging to make sure that all parasites are gone/eradicated. :)

I've been feeding their brand to several of my guys for months and haven't had any problems. :)

Maybe that would help?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Avoid San Francisco Bay brand. Heard nothing but bad about it - and I tossed out my frozen worms when I was told how they treat their foods! Parasites are 50/50 with that brand. I think Logisticsguy knows a few good and safe brands. I buy mealworms for my fellas, from only one store. I also have a beardie so... They share ;)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

Hikari frozen food is the way to go! Don't worry about parasites with them.

Side note.. Sena , I am a beardie owner too. The Mealworms are deadly for them. Switch to superworms you can order them online in the smaller sizes(or better yet Dubias). Unfortunately many petstores don't carry proper food for beardies so online is the food store for them
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

They are too small anyways ;) I got superworms. I can get them by the thousands for 40.00 ^.^ Mealies work better for bettas because they are smaller... Just... Deshell them...