Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Floating on side?

I know this has something to do with SBD, I'm just not sure how exactly to treat it other than what I've already tried. Any help will be appreciated.

Oddball is one of my fry from the Blue MG marble x Blue Dalmation spawn from January of this year and she was the fastest developing of everyone and most active, one of only 5 I saved from being culled because of extremely slow development. I've never seen her like this.

I think this started about a week ago. I saw her hanging out at the top of the tank a lot and starting to lose a bit of color. I decided to put her in QT for surveillance. Then I noticed her having a hard time staying at the bottom, and now all she does is float on her side at the surface. I fasted her for 4 days and did a few days of epsom salt treatment as well and no change. I decided to try and give her some food to see if she even had an appetite anymore and she ate like normal but it seemed like she had a little bit of trouble getting to the pellets.

Housing
What size is your tank? 28g sorority, then in a 1 gallon Critter keeper QT, now she's back in the 28 but inside of a breeder net to keep her from getting harrassed and so she can stay close to the surface.
What temperature is your tank? 81-82*F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, aquaclear 50
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? co2 injected *if that counts*
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? some other female bettas, a couple Bristlenose plecos, 5 endlers, and cories -- its a NPT Heavily planted so bioload isn't an issue, parameters are perfect ever time tested and W/c's are more often than needed

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Attison's betta pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Used to use Tetra Aquasafe (the chlorine removing kind) but switched to Prime like 2 weeks ago

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15-20ish
pH: 7.6
Hardness: ---not sure -- GH is 11 KH is 17
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? lost a bit of color, used to be a darker blue now she's a metallicy sky blue
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? more lethargic, floats instead of swims. Rests on the leaves a lot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? maybe a week ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did for a few days after noticing but stopped a couple days ago. Epsoms at 1tsp/gallon and fasting (3 days total maybe?)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 months exactly.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #2 
registereduser

The last time I had a fish that acted like that I think it was caused by stress. He was also in a larger tank, had some neons die off and then the betta started acting lethargic, on his side at the surface. I put him in the QT with IAL and some bettafix (I know, I don't use it any more) also some AQ salt and he was back to his old self in a few days time. After that I kept him in his own smaller tank.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Yeah, well she was QT'd for the first 4 days after noticing with no change. It's more of the floating and being on her side that I'm worried about other then the lethargy. I'm sure she's only being lethargic because it's hard for her to swim, because of SBD I'm assuming.

Problem is, I don't know what to do to fix it. I've tried pretty much everything besides actual medication and a pea. Warm water, fasting, clean water, epsom salts, AQ salts, fasting, etc. Nothing worked.
I am at witts end. I have heard negative things about using peas, so I'm not going to mess with that, but what medications are out there that I can use to cure this?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #4 
registereduser

I like Maracyn 2, got it off Amazon.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #5 
Nicci Lu

Have you tried frozen daphnia in lieu of peas? For meds, Kanaplex is my favorite because it treats the widest range of ailments and seems the least harsh.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #6 
aemaki09

I'll get daphnia tomorrow. Will order kanaplex if needed, but I suspect it's a pointless buy, atleast I'll have it if I ever have some sort of outbreak of something else.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
swim bladder disorder