Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, weekly blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: about 5
pH: API liquid test says 7.8, Tetra strip says 6.8...?????
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? none
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sits on the bottom with clamped fins but when I go near the tank gets all excited and comes up to me. Has a normal appetite.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday, 1 day after I put the almond leaf in his tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? took out the almond leaf and did a 60% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8.5 months according to breeder I got him from

I put a small (6 in) Indian almond leaf in and a day later (after the leaf sank) he sits at the bottom with clamped fins and swims around with clamped fins but has a great appetite and interacts normally with me. I thought it was because the filter current was too strong and maybe he was just hiding from it at the bottom so I cut a water bottle in half and taped it to the filter to slow the current. This didn't help so today I took out the almond leaf and did a 60% water change. It's been a few hours and he is still acting the same. He has no signs of anything wrong on his body or fins.

I'm also not sure why my two ph tests are showing such different results. The ph strip from yesterday read 7.2 and today it reads 6.8. The liquid one says the same from yesterday to today. Either way he has new tap water now with no leaf so it should be what it is normally. I thought almond leaves were supposed to be great for bettas, I hear so many good things about them.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 
justmel

IAL are very beneficial to bettas. I can't say if your betta is reacting to putting it in his tank or not, but I believe it could be. I've recently had a betta react that way when I started using API stress coat in it's water. She also clamped her fins up tight, but sat at the top of her tank rather than the bottom. It didn't change her appetite or the way she interacted with me. I'm taking the same steps you are & slowly removing the water I treated with the stress coat and she seems to slowly be getting better. In my opinion you are taking the right steps. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience will help you are soon.

Other than that I would say turn up his heater. 78 isn't bad, but they seem to like warmer temps, 80-82, a bit better.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

You should be sure to rinse it before putting it in your tank. I've tried it with more than one fish. I have several. I did have one fish that didn't react well to it. He was lethargic and he bit his fins down (this definitely could be coincidental but he never bit before) It could have just been something specific that had gotten on that leaf. I took out and changed the water. He is more active without it. Some of my other fish seem to have benefitted from having them. One I have just loves his leaf he lays on it on his side and under it (I've propped it across some rocks). No matter where that leaf has been in the tank you can be sure he will be.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 
isochronism

I have IAL from Amy. never a problem.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Mine were from Amy too. The leaf in particular was C+ but it did have black spots on it so maybe that was an issue.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 
Starfish1

No I didn't rinse it off first, after it was in the tank I read the instructions that came with it.. bad!

He seems better today, a little more active but still a little clamped. I also noticed he looks like he ate a little too much so I am going to skip a feeding or two and see if maybe that's what is bothering him.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote