Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #1 
Spode

Getting my first betta, advice and tips welcome :)

Okay, so I've ordered the basics online, a tank, heater, and of course a betta (gorgeous red and black crowntail).

First question is about getting fish delivered, I imagine this stresses them out somewhat, anyone got any experience of having a fish delivered?

Secondly, ordered this aquarium: http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...ank-20ltr.html

With a heater, that seem okay? Filter needed also? I've done a little research but there seems to be no real consensus on filters for bettas.

What sort of decorations do bettas like?

Specific type of gravel I shouldn't use?

Anything I might be forgetting?

Questions questions questions!

I know it's 'just a fish', but I want to give him a nice home and have a happy little pet
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #2 
Cody

I have ordered two Clowns from liveaquaria, and they came perfectly. You need to acclimate him very carefully.

Added filter would be the best.

Nothing sharp.

Doesn't matter.

Look up the Betta FAQ on this forum.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #3 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spode View Post
Okay, so I've ordered the basics online, a tank, heater, and of course a betta (gorgeous red and black crowntail).

First question is about getting fish delivered, I imagine this stresses them out somewhat, anyone got any experience of having a fish delivered?

Open the box in a dark room so as to not stress the betta. Acclimate slowly (drip acclimate or slowly change out old water for new over the course of an hour. Make sure the temp is the same in the bag before releasing the fish (I usually float the bag in the tank while I acclimate so that the water slowly reaches the temp of the tank).

Secondly, ordered this aquarium: ARC TANK 20LTR

With a heater, that seem okay? Filter needed also? I've done a little research but there seems to be no real consensus on filters for bettas.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the fish being a betta on whether or not you use a filter. It has everything to do with whether or not you want to CYCLE the tank. A cycled tank needs a filter, while an uncycled tank does not. Cycling is the buildup of benificial bacteria to process fish waste (ie: ammonia and nitrite) into the less harmful nitrate which is removed during water changes. If you want live plants, don't want to have to do frequent water changes, and don't want to have to completely empty the tank every week and scrub it down, then I would recommend cycling the tank. This will take time however, so I suggest you read up about the "fishless aquarium cycle" before you decide. If you don't want to cycle the tank you can put your fish in right away, but will need to do 100% water changes (and more frequent water changes as well).

What sort of decorations do bettas like?

Anything that's not sharp. I usually give mine some plants near the surface which they rest on, and a cave/pot of some sort. I like natural decorations, but that's just a matter of preference. Make sure anything you get is aquarium safe.

Specific type of gravel I shouldn't use?

If it has paint that's flaking off in the bag don't get it ;) You can also use plain sand.

Anything I might be forgetting?

You have water conditioner, food, and a liquid test kit right?

Questions questions questions!

I know it's 'just a fish', but I want to give him a nice home and have a happy little pet

Good for you
Good luck!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #4 
MarieBettaMom

Quote:
If you want live plants ... then I would recommend cycling the tank.
Quick question ...

... does this mean if you have live plants then you must cycle the tank?

... does this mean you cannot have live plants and do 100% water changes in an UNcycled tank?

Just wondering. Right now I have fake plants, and I am doing 100% water changes in an uncycled tank. I haven't yet decided whether I want a real plant in there. If an uncycled tank precludes having live plants, then I don't have to think about it anymore. For now.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #5 
veganchick

oh, also watch the betta carefully when he first goes in cuz they are known to jump
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #6 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieBettaMom View Post
Quick question ...

... does this mean if you have live plants then you must cycle the tank?

... does this mean you cannot have live plants and do 100% water changes in an UNcycled tank?

Just wondering. Right now I have fake plants, and I am doing 100% water changes in an uncycled tank. I haven't yet decided whether I want a real plant in there. If an uncycled tank precludes having live plants, then I don't have to think about it anymore. For now.
Rooted plants won't appreciate 100% changes where they must be uprooted. However, there are several plants such as java fern, java moss, and anubias that don't stay rooted in the substrate and would do fine in an uncycled tank. They are all low light plants as well, and quite undemanding. Duckweed (floating plant) would probably survive as well if you scooped it up with a net before changing the water. That being said, you could possibly have a nice planted tank with those plants, but if you are looking for that jungle effect you'd probably want to cycle the tank so that you can get faster growing rooted plants in there. All of the plants mentioned above grow quite slowly but are hardy.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #7 
MarieBettaMom

Are tanks more prone to algae when there are live plants? Or is it pretty much the same either way?
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #8 
Kim

Again, it's not really the plants, but the water conditions. My high growth aquarium hardly gets any algae, even when it was new and it was expected to have an algae bloom. My lower lighting setup seems to have more algae that I have to scrub off during my weekly water changes. If you are going to use fertalizer I'd advise you to stay away from the liquid stuff unless you have very high lighting. I use root tabs instead. I am certainly no expert though, I've just done a bit of experimenting ;)