Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 
gorillakev

german ram f1 and wild caught

Has anyone housed a betta along with German ram ciclids f1 and wild caught. I have a stray Betta a in a 1/2 gallon tank. I want to put him in my 20l heavily planted with 1 wild caught female German ram and 5 of her nieces or nephews ( not big enough to be sexed yet). They are the same family so don't ask if they are from different places. Since wild caughts and f1 naturally hide when you enter the room I want to introduce my Betta as a centerpiece and a top swimmer.

Aquarium set up

Aquaclear 30 on lowest flow setting
Temp 82
Ph 6.8
Ammonia 0
Co2 injected
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #2 
Kiara1125

Yes. I have a community of females and it has a wild caught female GBR in it. They do great and there's never been any problems.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 
wish4coner

I have a pet store rescue set--older and not breedable--that I have in my african tank. No probs at all. They actually help as, the africans are middle and bottom swimmers and the bettas stay at top. It helps keep the tank pristine. (I think they were siblings as, they are attached at the hip but never tried to breed).
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #4 
gorillakev

Ok cool, I will try it out for a day or two. I just wanted a little feedback before I introduce him in their, btw my Betta is still a juvenile does that matter also. He's about
4 months to 5 months old he was a petco baby Betta rescue.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #5 
wish4coner

It really depends on the aggressiveness of the african cichlid. I don't have any rams but, I do have a few that are extremely territorial. But, since the bettas like to be around the top and, I have plenty of places for hiding in the cichlid tank (lots of caves, houses, seashells, etc), the territorial ones stay in those. The bettas like to set down on the plant box I have and, the cichlids like that piece. And, as I said, they tend to stay closer to the top most of the time and just swim around. They have done extremely well in there so, I hope the same goes for you. :)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 
Kiara1125

Rams are extremely peaceful all of mine have never been the attacker. My baby tiger barbs attacked them and I felt terrible. Of course I moved them, but now I know. Your betta should be fine. Hopefully he'll be good to her/them since he's growing up with them. Good luck!
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #7 
wish4coner

Age, I don't think matters with the petco fish. My female was definitely younger but, it seems these two were, either in with each other for a while or something. They were like best buddies so, I kept them together. The male went wild whenever he saw her and, I knew he was too old to breed so, I tried her in there. They swam, side by side and wiggled a lot. It was more like, "I am so happy to see you again", and not" Hi there, big fella". They still swim side by side in the big tank and seem to care for each other.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #8 
gorillakev

Hopefully this works out for the best I will keep you guys updated. This a one time thing only because I can't rearrange the tank since its dirted if all doesn't go well.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #9 
wish4coner

I cut a piece of tubing, and angled it so it would fit inside the baster. On the end, I cut it angled as well so I could just go close to things in the tank. If you do this, you can take out the waste easily, without disturbing the soil or the plants. I slowly go near the bottom and you will see, as you suck up water, the waste going into the tube. Just an idea, if you don't have a filter just yet.