Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #51 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That pic makes your acf look like monsters!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #52 
Skyewillow

they're in a 1 gal Kritter Keeper, and Frankie's close to 4.5-5" not including her legs
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #53 
Starfish1

Awww they're so cute! I think Frankie is my favorite!
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #54 
wish4coner

I have seen these frogs at Petco and, many times wanted to take them as, they looked so small and frail. I wasn't sure how to keep them--I always thought frogs needed a place to come up and sit, and more of a reptile set up. And, of course the sales help was giving all sorts of different thoughts on what I needed.

They seem to be in a tank with no place to come up and set? Can you help me on what kind of frogs these are and, what they need for set up, as well as if they can be in with fish (do they eat fish). I would love to rescue the ones that looked so bad, myself and, they were selling them for 50 cents. I would consider going over and grabbing a couple this week, if I knew what the heck I was doing. :)
They are awesome!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #55 
Briz

Wish4coner, great forum with lots of information on ADF care is here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....can+dwarf+frog
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #56 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4coner View Post
They seem to be in a tank with no place to come up and set? Can you help me on what kind of frogs these are and, what they need for set up, as well as if they can be in with fish (do they eat fish). I would love to rescue the ones that looked so bad, myself and, they were selling them for 50 cents. I would consider going over and grabbing a couple this week, if I knew what the heck I was doing. :)
They are awesome!
These are two very different species, and while the dwarf frogs can happily live with fish, the clawed frogs (the big pair) would happily EAT fish!

Briz posted a care sheet for the dwarves, so I'm going to do a brief rundown of the big frogs.

Size: Females can reach 6", males stay about 4.5-5"
Lifespan: I know people with 28 yr old frogs that are still going strong!
Diet: Fish, shrimp, snails, bugs, other frogs that fit in their mouth (whether they actually fit or not)
Tank size: 15-20g for one, a 30 would be fine for two.
High waste output, they need double the filtration, or big water changes. TIGHT FITTING LID!!

Decor: fine sand, rocks too big to be eaten, or bare bottomed. floating and tall plants (they like to hang near the surface like bettas).
Temperature: 65-75 degrees (Fahrenheit).

This species doesn't like to sit out of the water, just a few minutes on dry land will start to dry them out and cause damage. Freddie has escaped twice, and this is the first successful pair I've kept due to previous frogs finding some sort of gap and escaping to dry up on the floor, or hurt themselves from the fall.

There is one major difference to tell between the juveniles of Dwarf and Clawed frogs. The front feed on the Dwarf is ALWAYS webbed, it isn't on a Clawed frog, also, dwarves don't come in Albino. Those "tutti-frutti" or "Candy" or otherwise orange, pink, and green frogs are just albino clawed frogs that are injected with dye, it's a very harsh process, and more often than not, it fades as they grow out.

Freddie and Pancake were both rescues. Freddie was severely emaciated, and if I didn't leave that store with him, he would've died. I paid full price for him (I don't think how much you spend makes it any less of a rescue, since the definition is "to remove from harm") I also paid full price for Pancake, plus another frog. The second ADF didn't make it, it was too far gone by the time we got to them. There were guppy corpses everywhere in the tank, and I caught probably 4 corpses in the process of trying to catch the little frogs. It was pretty horrible.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #57 
Skyewillow

4/4/13 and 5/12/13, How far Pancake has come in just one month!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #58 
wish4coner

OMGosh..that looks like a different frog! Way to go!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #59 
Skyewillow

She's grown like a weed in the last month, which was a relief. When we lost her rescue buddy, I was concerned that she wouldn't thrive.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #60 
wish4coner

You've done so well! Good job!