Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 
BettaLover1313

Question Epsom Salt?

I've seen in several topics/had it recommended to get regular salt for my betta. My questions are:

What is it used for?
How much should be used per gallon?
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 
mermaid77

It's used for bloat, swim bladder issues, constipation.
The recommended dosage is 1tsp/gal...for more severe cases the max is 3tsp/gal.
It's also considered safe to use long term for chronic suffers at the lower recommended dosage.
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 
sainthogan

keep in mind that epsom salt is different than aquarium salt. Neither should be used for a long period of time, although, epsom salts can be used longer than aquarium salt. Epsom salt is to treat bloat, constipation, etc. Aquarium salt is used to treat injuries, fin rot, etc and can be used for a MAXIMUM of 14 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
I've seen in several topics/had it recommended to get regular salt for my betta. My questions are:

What is it used for?
How much should be used per gallon?
When you say "regular" salt are you meaning the type you use in food preparation? Just wondering, because Epsom salt, Sea Salt, Table Salt, etc... are all different things.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Epsoms are used for internal issues. 1tsp/gallon - 10 days of use max with frequent w/c's and only replacing the amt. of salt you removed.

AQ salt is for external issues but dosed in the same way, but you can go up to 3tsp/gallon if absolutely necessary.

make sure you avoid marine salt like the plague though (unless you decide to run a s/w tank) -- it's not meant for FW fish in anyway shape or form.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 
mermaid77

I see the general consensus is not to use it for long periods of time...
I have to wonder though, has anyone giving this info dealt with a fish with chronic issues...or just the occasional constipation problem, in which case, I agree, 10 days would be enough...The fish recovers and that's the end of it....

I wonder because I happen to have a girl with chronic SBD...I followed the advice of an old thread where Oldfishlady stated it would be OK to continue the use long term for chronic sufferers...

My girl has been on Epsom for three weeks now...and only very recently, over the last few days has she been able to finally swim normally since the total of 5 weeks that I've had her....I have never seen her better and this was in conjunction with a recent change of brand of pellets...Both great brands mind you, I switched her from Omega One to NLS. In light of this improvement, I do plan on trying to wean her off the salt soon anyway and see how she does...However, since Epsom isn't believed to be harmful like AQ salt...I obviously would continue with ES if that's the only thing helping her should she have a long term relapse such as she's had til now....

So...my question is, what do you all believe would be the harm in continuing ES for chronic issues...? AQ salt is said to cause harm to their liver and kidneys, I believe...so what damage can ES possibly cause, the same? Is this a proven fact? Has ANYONE kept their fish with chronic SBD on Epsom salt indefinitely? If not...what else have you done for them?

I'm sorry for asking here, thing is, I did start a thread of my own where I got little advice...the only helpful one WAS the one that directed me to Oldfishlady's statement...and in my limited experience, I have to say...so far so good....:/

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aquarium salt is high in sodium, which can cause fluid retention and puts stress on the kidneys. (It also increases blood pressure in people, but I don't know if it does this in fish.)

Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate. It doesn't contain sodium, so it does not put the same type of stress on the kidneys. It has a laxative effect and reduces fluid retention (in both people and fish). It is safe to use for longer periods than aquarium salt.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

mermaid77 - yes, I recall OFL's posts about using low doses of Epsom salts for chronic SBD. I think you have a sound plan for your girl.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote