Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #1 
Mk1472

Question Water Changing in 1.5 Gal Tank

What would be the recommended water changing for a 1.5 gal tank? Also, what is the best length of time to keep it lit?
Mk1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #2 
Mar

This thread helped a lot! Take a look.

I would do 100% changes every 3 days and 50% changes every 4 days.
Is it heated/filtered?

It is best to keep it lit 8-12 hrs a day. Turn it on when you wake up, and turn it off when you go to sleep.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #3 
Mk1472

Thank you. Unfortunately, I had no idea what went into taking care of a betta and did no reading prior to buying a set up for him. The tank is not heated nor does it come with any filtration. For now he has a heat lamp that will work for the night and not over heat him. In the morning he needs a better set up.... and silk plants.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 
Mar

Yay :D
Thanks for caring enough!

Hopefully you'll upgrade him into a nice 5gal? :)
If you really can't, a 2.5gal with heat and filtration should suffice.
I'd strongly recommend getting a heater soon though. Bettas are very sensitive to water temperature and really thrive in a nice warm temperature
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #5 
wish4coner

Until I get situated with doing a bigger tank with dividers (next investment), I went to walmart and got some very nice, tall and wide glass vase thingies (I am a woman---we say thingies for everything), conditioned water and broke up my big moss balls, and a small amount of IAL. I have non adjustable heaters that keep it at 78 degrees, in each one (they are 3 gallon size and not expensive). I take a turkey baster, every day and suck out the YUCK at the bottom, and any uneaten food. I also feed mosquito larvae with a medicine dropper as, you can limit the amount that goes in. I use flightless fruit flies and TRY to keep only 2 or three at the top. They don't go the bottom and you can remove easily. I also have just about a T. of coral on the bottom--it helps keep the PH regular. I have some of that in my refill conditioned water--also keeps the PH the same when I add some.
End of week, I do full water change with a bucket of conditioned water. It's room temp so, around 78 degrees already. The moss ball keeps the biological stuff going so, I don't have to worry about that.
I also put one small snail and one ghost shrimp in each. My bettas, except for one, have no interest with eating them..they do like to play with them though. They eat the uneaten food on the bottom and keep the sides clean of algae. So, if they can deal with those, I suggest them. My water is always crystal clear, as long as I turkey baste every day.
I'm the prolific type in my typing..can you tell? lol
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #6 
Mk1472

Holy crap (removal) , the baster idea is awesome. I wouldn't have ever have thought of that. When you are talking about the coral are you talking about the live sand stuff that people use in salt water tanks or actual coral pieces?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #7 
wish4coner

No, I got crushed coral, due to my cichlids needing high ph. If you just add a very small amount (and only if your ph in your area is low), it will bring it up. I only add a T. to each and it brings up the PH perfectly. But, that is with my water--we have hard water here and horrible conditions--I do a lot of conditioning with Prime, and for my first starting of a full change, biological agents like Quick start.

As for the coral, I got one that was already rinsed. But, let me warn you..keep rinsing. The sediment makes the water cloudy if you don't. I use a pasta strainer with small holes, run it through hot water and get it to where the water is running clean from the bottom. I still had a tiny bit of cloudiness but, it leaves very fast. And, with a T., it doesn't really do much of anything, other than a little bit of color change until it settles.

If I had a camera, I'd show you what I did to make it an easy clean. but, if you angle it when you cut it, it will fit perfectly into the baster. Then, I angel the bottom so it "runs" along the bottom but doesn't catch. I want to say, the size is about 4-5 inches long. This gives me plenty of catch of debris but, doesn't bother the surface. I even use it in my fry tank. It sucks up the food but doesn't disturb the water.
As for the camera--well, I was trying to take a picture of my first spawn tank and..well, I got a bit too close--there it was..swimming with the fish. I died a gruesome death. But, at least it didn't harm the fish! lol
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote