Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #11 
LaniBaby

if you want a specialty betta, my recommendation is to see if your local area has a betta association. A quick internet search should find something in Florida. You can send them a friendly email asking if there are any breeders in your area and how their reputations are. That way , you can avoid the hazards of shipping and pick out your fish in person, if they'll let you come and see their breeding shop. I got really lucky this way and ran into a really nice breeder who let me come to her home and set up 10 pet variety bettas for me to choose from. I picked out 2 and ended up with a beautiful blue marble half moon and a copper marble halfmoon that i'm quite proud of. I even have photos of their parents. :) Some breeders have too many fish to care for since the spawns can be so large and will give away their pet quality fish for free or near free.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #12 
Campbell

I have that very heater. It heats it up about 5 degrees. It doesn't have to be under the gravel, but it must be completely submerged. It also doesn't have suction cups that you can stick to the side. It does have one suction cup, but it's for the cord. It works well in my tank, but I don't think I would like it near as much in a bowl where it would just be hanging there. My tank is also 5 gallons, so it would heat you're small bowl far more.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #13 
LaniBaby

I don't know where you are in florida but there's a better bettas, an MCB bettas in pensacola, and south miami tropical's in miami. I know nothing about any of them, so I suggest doing a lot more research, but maybe that will get you started.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #14 
Cody

How big is this "bowl" anyways?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #15 
Clarke

The bowl is about 13" by 13". It's one of the larger bowls I've seen. Not those little ones in the store... Here's pictures and a CD case for comparison. That thing in the tank is the thermometer lol.

If it's too small or I can't fit a heater I'd get one of those starter kit ones. I'm in the process of trying to find a good one right now. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Clarke; 04-28-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Picture size
Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #16 
Clarke

BTW I haven't cleaned the bowl yet. It's a little dusty.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #17 
Campbell

It's not as big as you think. I would think if you filled it anywhere close to the top your fish might jump out. You wouldn't want that, especially if it was an expensive one. I don't think the heater would work well in that.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #18 
Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
It's not as big as you think. I would think if you filled it anywhere close to the top your fish might jump out. You wouldn't want that, especially if it was an expensive one. I don't think the heater would work well in that.
That's why I said I'd build a screen if I used it... and I don't think a heater would fit. Now I need a tank. Any good ones with low filter settings? All the reviews for the tanks around $30 are bad on Petco (cheap parts, cracks, filters loud/burning out, etc).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #19 
froglady

I think Id get something bigger. and add a heater.
froglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #20 
Clarke

What do you guys think of this tank? But it seems almost the same size...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...07806#prodTab1