Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #11 
Mar

Yeah, I dislike using nets. I just hate the feeling of a betta thrashing inside of them.
Ladles, cups and clean hands are best :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #12 
wish4coner

I forgot to add that, I use Prime whenever moving them or adding water to a tank. It puts the natural slime back. I try not to ever go past 3 seconds, unless they are still in water and only rubbing against my hands. I don't want anyone thinking that I take them around the house with me. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #13 
Mar

LOL that's a funny image. Just carrying them around, watching TV with them, y'know showing them the backyard and scenery.
Ahaha. Made my day

Last edited by Mar; 04-29-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelt caring instead of carrying. /facepalm
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #14 
jadaBlu

I've been nipped a bit by Nano when I was not expecting it. I could feel his teeth. It's startling if you're not expecting it. I also nudge them in to cups and such with my finger.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #15 
Kaxen

Addie will sometimes swim to my hand, but most of the time she avoids my hands when they are in the water because she really does not like it at all when I'm moving things around in the tank. But she likes my fingers outside the tank. She will follow them.

Henry is scared of my hands in the water, so he won't get close to my hands. I'm pretty sure he dislikes me a little because I always wreck his bubble nest when changing the water.
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #16 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I don't put my hands into the tank often but during siphonings or partial water changes Kaida and I have developed a game where he tries to nose boop the glass tube of the baster.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
I don't put my hands into the tank often but during siphonings or partial water changes Kaida and I have developed a game where he tries to nose boop the glass tube of the baster.
Lol, my girls do that!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #18 
Cali love

Hi y'all! I'm a new betta mommy and have never had a fish before. My fiancÚ bought him and I got stuck with him. Lol. I am really enjoying watching him swim and I like to watch him play with his food. I moved him to my house about 4 days ago and he still seems to be a lil stressed over the car ride. Is there anything I can do to help him out?? I want him to be happy and playful but I'm afraid I will stress him out of input my hand in his tank like some of you do. Any suggestions??
Cali love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Usually they just need time to get used to new surroundings and settle down when they've just been on a car ride. I'd make sure he has plenty of decor to hide in. I'd also keep his tank dimly lit for awhile until he perks up.

If you've got a proper set up: a large enough tank (my general rule is at least 2 gallons, some say 5), enough decor (soft silk plants and caves with no sharp edges) and clean water with adequate water changes, then he just needs time.

Generally they get used to your hand because it is what feeds them. Get him to associate your hand with food. They are curious and will likely check out anything new you add to their tank, including your hand. If he's skittish, just put your fingers in the tank and keep them very still and let him come to you.

Obviously if you've read some posts here, some will never get too close to your hand. Like my VT: he'll circle my hand but will keep a bit of distance from it. He'll get closer if I keep my hand very still.

They also will communicate with you even if your hands are outside the tank. They are very social :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

I have a group of juveniles and their father who are around 3-4 inches (they are bettas but wild species) and they have fights over who gets to sit in my hand during water changes. I make a little circle shape with my thumb and index finger and they go through that and then sit in my cupped hand.

However, their bite can be quite hard because they have massive mouths and are bigger than the average splendens now. I have to watch out as they attach themselves to my elbow and arm during water changes and it can scare the dickens out of me.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote