Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #11 
Kim

I second using Quick Cure. It has worked for me in the past and generally works much faster than the salt treatment. I don't think it's advisable to use both the med and salt at the same time however. I'd say get the salt in there now, and get a med (because this is an advanced case by the looks of it) ASAP but do a 100% water change before adding it to the water. Dose as directed. Hope this helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #12 
Elisew

Thanks Kim.

I`m hoping that the LFS here has exactly what you and Nataku have suggested.....am I right in thinking you`re not in the UK?
Same products just different names sometimes I think??

I don`t think I`ll be going back to the shop where I bought Chimlin because I`ll probably get a bit p*ssed off with the guy in there so I`ll go to the other shop and speak to them and make sure I can get `Quick Cure`

I feel so sorry for Chimlin, I just thought he was staying out of the way because having brought him home on Saturday he may have been a bit stressed at the changes.....I didn`t realise he was so poorly

He`s barely moving around, theres nothing in the tank except the heater and the poor guy has nothing to hide under. I just want to get him better again .

Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #13 
Nataku

I am located in Florida, in the good ol' US of A. Quick Cure is one of the most easily available of the various fish meds you can find here. Even my local wal-marts carry it. Honestly haven't been to England to have a look at what oyur local stores carry, but I should hope you also have something of the sort. Quick Cure is the brand name, so it should be labeled as such.
Should look pretty similar to this:

However, if your stores in England don't carry this, you will want to find a medicine that carries formalin and malachite green as ingredients (write it down on a notepad if you have trouble remembering the names, the fish store employees ought to recognize what you're talking about when you say those names). These are the things we want as they will kill the ich. Quick Cure is just what I recomend becaue it is the cheapest, most easily available stuff around here and it works.

Since he's sick and is now under quarantine, I wouldn't worry so much about decorations for him. My quarantine tanks are very sparse: bare bottom, nothing but a heater and a white section of 1 1/4 inch PVC coupling for a cave. Sometimes not even that.

As a future note if you ever go to a fish store looking to buy another fish: take a flash light with you. A nice pen light goes with me at all times when I go to stores, because you can shine that on the betta, and it will make many signs of illnesses much easier to spot.It's also handy with bettas to help determine what color they may really be. I've picked up plenty a betta cup at a store that I thought had a blue betta in it, shined a light, and low and behold, that is a red betta!
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry Chimlin is sick. I hope you can find some meds for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #15 
Elisew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
I am located in Florida, in the good ol' US of A. Quick Cure is one of the most easily available of the various fish meds you can find here. Even my local wal-marts carry it. Honestly haven't been to England to have a look at what oyur local stores carry, but I should hope you also have something of the sort. Quick Cure is the brand name, so it should be labeled as such.
Should look pretty similar to this:

However, if your stores in England don't carry this, you will want to find a medicine that carries formalin and malachite green as ingredients (write it down on a notepad if you have trouble remembering the names, the fish store employees ought to recognize what you're talking about when you say those names). These are the things we want as they will kill the ich. Quick Cure is just what I recomend becaue it is the cheapest, most easily available stuff around here and it works.

Since he's sick and is now under quarantine, I wouldn't worry so much about decorations for him. My quarantine tanks are very sparse: bare bottom, nothing but a heater and a white section of 1 1/4 inch PVC coupling for a cave. Sometimes not even that.

As a future note if you ever go to a fish store looking to buy another fish: take a flash light with you. A nice pen light goes with me at all times when I go to stores, because you can shine that on the betta, and it will make many signs of illnesses much easier to spot.It's also handy with bettas to help determine what color they may really be. I've picked up plenty a betta cup at a store that I thought had a blue betta in it, shined a light, and low and behold, that is a red betta!

Thanks Nataku 8)

I went down to the LFS and the lad there advised me to use a med called Protozin, it contains:
Malachite Green 0.085% w/w
Formaldehyde 0.07% w/w
Copper sulphate 0.015% w/w

Use 1ml for each 15 litres of water, use on day 1,2,3 and 6.

He said they use this Protozin to treat any fish in their store that may have ich/whitespot and said it works well and quickly. They didn`t have Quick Cure.

I`ve measured and diluted and added to the tank now. Something I never noticed until the colour of the water changed is that there are what I can only describe as `fluffyish` lumps of `something` lying on the bottom of the tank.....weird! I used a small pipette to remove it.

I`ve binned the live plants that were in the tank, I`ve got no intention of risking them reinfecting the tank so won`t use them again. I`ll buy a different new decoration too once I know Chimlin is ok.
I`ve turned the heater right up so the water remains warmer than usual, made sure there`s no carbon in the filter and I`ve got that running, adjusted it to aeriate the water slightly too. I`ve manged to get chimlin to eat a couple of bloodworms, he hadn`t had anything over the last day or so.

Good tip about the pen light, never would have thought of that!! 8)
I always have a pen light in my bag too

Thanks dramaqueen, hopefully he`ll get better. I`ll do whatever I can to get him sorted.

Lise x
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad you found some meds for him. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #17 
LaniBaby

I'd like to add that you ought to be careful that you don't get any of the undissolved salts on Chimlin. You should use some tank water to dissolve the salts first, then add to the water preferably while Chimlin isn't in the tank. If salts land on him, they could burn him. I've heard of that occurring with other types of tank fish. I use them for healthy fish, too. I haven't heard of them mixing poorly with meds before, though.

I"m surprised they don't have aquarium salts near you. Not even at the local pet store or chain pet store? I also generally use Aquarisol for an ich preventive. 1 drop per gallon on my healthy fish. Perhaps when he gets better, you may try it too just to be sure it doesn't come back.

Nataku, is the 1 tsp / gallon recommended for ill fish or everyday? I've been doing 1/2 tsp / gal for years for the healthy guys at water change times. Just curious!

good luck with chimlin!!! Poor little fellow. I wish him well!

Last edited by LaniBaby; 04-30-2009 at 09:36 AM.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was using just a pinch per gallon. I'd like to know the reccommended dose for healthy fish, also.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #19 
Elisew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniBaby View Post
I'd like to add that you ought to be careful that you don't get any of the undissolved salts on Chimlin. You should use some tank water to dissolve the salts first, then add to the water preferably while Chimlin isn't in the tank. If salts land on him, they could burn him. I've heard of that occurring with other types of tank fish. I use them for healthy fish, too. I haven't heard of them mixing poorly with meds before, though.

I"m surprised they don't have aquarium salts near you. Not even at the local pet store or chain pet store? I also generally use Aquarisol for an ich preventive. 1 drop per gallon on my healthy fish. Perhaps when he gets better, you may try it too just to be sure it doesn't come back.

Nataku, is the 1 tsp / gallon recommended for ill fish or everyday? I've been doing 1/2 tsp / gal for years for the healthy guys at water change times. Just curious!

good luck with chimlin!!! Poor little fellow. I wish him well!
Hi LaniBaby,

I put totally clean water in this morning and added the Protozin to that, no salt now.
I only used the salt last night until I could get to the shop first thing this morning and I did dissolve the salt first, thought it made sense to dissolve it first any how but thankyou anyway

The LFS do have aquarium salt I just hadn`t bought any, I`ve never used salt not even in my 37 community tank, didn`t think it was an `everyday` requirement to be honest

Thanks for your good luck wishes, all I can do is follow the instructions on the meds and keep my fingers crossed now.

Lise x
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #20 
LaniBaby

I didn't think it was a requirement, either, but when i finally started using it on my bettas, i noticed an improvement in health. Less issues and diseases showed up.

Keep us updated on the little guy!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote