betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, probably.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #12 
LaniBaby

i can imagine that's quite possible, campbell. i've heard some nasty things about breeders, particularly amateur ones that aren't sure what they're getting into.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that if you bring baby fish into the world, you should try to give them the best of everything that you can, to give them a good chance of survival.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #14 
silverd

so, all of your betta's seem to have awesome names! Mine is black Jack! I got that name bringing him home listening to a song. How did u guys get your betta's name?
silverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #15 
Kim

Awww...he's gorgeous!

I'd love to find a good local breeder......is there a site you can go on to search? Out of my 5 bettas 2 were downright sick when I got them, and the other 3 were lethargic and stressed if not downright ill. And that's not counting the 2 that have died - one of old age but I got him with fin rot, and one that died only months after I got him with ick and finrot. And I buy most of them from Petco, which usually has the healthies bettas.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've had pretty good luck with my Petsmart bettas. Blue Bonnet and Rusty came from there, too.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #17 
LaniBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverd View Post
so, all of your betta's seem to have awesome names! Mine is black Jack! I got that name bringing him home listening to a song. How did u guys get your betta's name?
actually, his full name is "Little Cotter Crumb, Baker and Candlestick Maker" and Bluey's full name is "Bluey Noogai, PI." I picked out cotter before i saw him but then he was so small when i brought him home he looked like a crumb. Bluey noogai is because he was the new guy and he's blue. :P PI just makes him sound cool. My mom said if bluey had a profession Crumb had to, as well. So she decided he was a baker.

KIM:
That's exactly why i tried the breeder route. Just too many illnesses from both petco and petsmart. After 14 months of struggling with tuttle's fin rot, i decide to stop supporting pet store bettas. It's heartbreaking not to rescue them, but when we rescue, they think their sales are up and they just bring in more. I got luck that there was a midwest betta assocation. I don't know where you live but you can try looking for a local assocation and then narrowing it down from there. With summer coming, you can also do a mail order but it's really nice to be able to pick them out in person. I'd say look around, send out some emails, and see if you can find someone nice that will let you come choose. Breeders don't always advertise so we may have them right next door to us and not even know about it!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote