Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #41 
Clarke

It's Thursday. Do you think on Saturday or Sunday I can get 2 or 3 Zebra Danios as my "starter" fish? Then after about a week of them in there, get a betta?
Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #42 
Nataku

It takes more than a day to cycle and 'be ready for fish'. A cycle takes weeks. Putting a fish through a cycle is generally considered a very bad thing as it causes much undue stress on the fish and can often kill them from ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Oh and the tetras? No. Not with bettas. The betta will eat them. Learn not to listen to the pet store employees, the vast majority of them have not a clue what they are talking about, especially on the topic of what fish can and can't go together.
If you want to keep other fish in the tank with the betta, I suggest some cory cats (corydoras catfish). Most bettas will leave those alone. Get at least four cory cats if you do go that route though, they are schooling fish, and don't like being away from others of their own kind.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard a lot of good things about corys with bettas. And cories are fun to watch. Fishyinpa has 6 called the Stooges and she loves them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #44 
hunniebeenikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
It takes more than a day to cycle and 'be ready for fish'. A cycle takes weeks. Putting a fish through a cycle is generally considered a very bad thing as it causes much undue stress on the fish and can often kill them from ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Oh and the tetras? No. Not with bettas. The betta will eat them. Learn not to listen to the pet store employees, the vast majority of them have not a clue what they are talking about, especially on the topic of what fish can and can't go together.
If you want to keep other fish in the tank with the betta, I suggest some cory cats (corydoras catfish). Most bettas will leave those alone. Get at least four cory cats if you do go that route though, they are schooling fish, and don't like being away from others of their own kind.
what about adding water conditioner to a cycle. doesn't that make it ready?
hunniebeenikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #45 
Clarke

Nataku, when do you think my tank will be ready for a betta? I'll go look at the corys.
Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #46 
dramaqueen
Banned

Water conditioner doesn't have anything to do with cycling.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #47 
hunniebeenikki

aaahhh ok, so what is cycling and how is it done? I'm sorry, I am eager to learn like Clarke is.
hunniebeenikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #48 
Nataku

Quote:
what about adding water conditioner to a cycle. doesn't that make it ready?
Water conditioner dechlorinates the water. Dechlorinated water and a cycled tank are far from the same thing. Do not be misled by this. The cycle we are refering to is the nitrogen cycle, which is only going to happen after your tank has it's own established colony of bacteria - this is the primary purpose of the filter, it's not to keep the water clean, it's to have a place for the bacteria to colonize, and those bacteria will help to filter the harmful ammonia and nitries in your water in nitrates.
http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...ium-cycle-252/
^ That is a good topic on explaining "the cycle" I suggest anyone in question about what it is or how it works give that a good read.

How to cycle a tank:
Because I'm sure that's what you're all more interested in. "Yeah yeah, don't care what it is, just make it work already!"
http://www.fishforum.com/member-subm...-methods-3067/
^ How you can cycle a tank. Several different ways mentioned in there. I prefer doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, I tend to find it's a good way to do it, and one of the (usually) faster methods, which involves less dead fish. Mind you, by faster, I'm just saying it probably won't take you 8-10 weeks, like it can with some other forms of cycling.
Then again, I don't like cycling my tanks, but I'm just a stubborn grouch like that. Save yourself the trouble and cycle your tank, it will be better off for you and your fish in the long run, especially if you are not well familiar with aquarium care already.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its also called the nitrogen cycle. Its the building up of beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites.In the second stage, the bacteria uses the nitrites as food, converting it to nitrates. Nitrates are the end product that is the least toxic of the compounds involved.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #50 
dramaqueen
Banned

I see Nataku already explained it. She explains things better than I do anyway. lol