Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 
Bowser416

Fin Rot Control

Hello everyone,
I got my betta Constantine about 1 month ago after weeks of preparing a planted 5 gallon tank. He has been normal in behavior as far as I could tell. He's active, always exploring the tank, responsive to any movements outside the tank, always eager when he sees my hand is getting ready to feed him, but I noticed today his fins are significantly damaged. I bought a mirror for him to flare today because he hadn't done so since the first 2 days he was getting used to me, and when he flared I noticed how bad it looked. I hadnt noticed and when I went to see an old picture of him I saw the huge difference. Im going to quarantine him to give him an aq. salt treatment, but I'm wondering how I should keep his actual tank safe for next time. The tank has a Java Moss wall, some Cabomba, Anacharis, Hornwort, a Java Fern, I always keep an Indian Almond Leaf in there, there's some driftwood and he has a ghost shrimp tankmate with a few baby Ramshorns.
The tanks parameters are as follows:
pH: 7.8
GH: 10
KH: 8
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0

His diet:
Mon: BettaMin
Tue: Mysis
Wed: BettaMin
Thu: Daphnia
Fri: BettaMin
Sat: Fast
Sun: Bloodworm

As for water changes I've only done one since Ive had him and it was 50%. I was scared that too much changes would hurt the plants. Is this the problem? Id rather have my plants die away than have Constantine suffer

When I bought him around March 15

April 5th

Just now
Bowser416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #2 
Bowser416

I forgot to mention, he likes to swim through a small space between the driftwood and the wall. Its not super tiny, he definitely fits, but he has to swim through some Hornwort which Ive noticed is a bit sharp. Could that have done it?

His tank
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 
fiky95

Hello :)

First of all, what a beautiful fish! Second of all, I believe you want to do 50% water changes even with a planted tank weekly for at least 3 months from the day you first set it up. I don't know if you have seen the sticky in the planted tanks section? :) That'll explain it much better than me. Definitely check it out, I don't think it'll hurt the plants at all, tbh. Having an IAL in there at all times is a great choice imo. You seem to be doing everything right other than that I would suggest looking into the water changes, but then again, I don't quite know for how long it's been set up, because if it's over 3 months or so, then that would be ok as well.
It looks like he bit himself is that's an option?
I just wanted to reply, because nobody's answered yet, so hopefully it'll bring more attention to the topic when it shows up more up front again and somebody who's much more knowledgable than me will be able to answer.
What additives do you use? Have you possibly tried the API stress coat (I see you're in the US and that seems to be the best option here :)?
Good luck with it, hope it'll be ok, he really is beautiful and I can tell that you are really trying hard to make the conditions for him as good as possible. xxx
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
Bowser416

Thank you! And thanks for responding I figured this thread wasn't going to go anywhere. I actually had read the sticky, but I must have missed that important point. He is on day 4 of quarantine with aq. salt and he looks much whiter though I still cant really tell how his fins are. If they don't get better I will use stress coat or maybe myxazin which I also read was good for fin rot :) As far as additives I dont use any since my water has no chlorine and I'll keep an eye on him for biting. I've never seen him do it, but just in case I moved stuff around his tank a bit and will give him a little mirror time each day :) Oh! and I've been doing water changes on the original tank and the water looks much cleaner for ehen I return him so that must've been it I think
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #5 
logisticsguy

Yeah up the water changes for sure to 2 x 50% per week with gravel vac. Your ph and gh/kh are high so that can be hard on fins. I would use Prime as an additive because there could be clorine heavy metals and chloromide as well but it can also help control the ammonia levels. Salt is ok but you can only use for a short time period and I personally not a big fan. You may want to get a product like Paraguard as well its a killer on ecto parasites like fin rot and Ich very broad spectrum, its worked well for me. good luck.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #6 
fiky95

↑ THIS

logisticsguy is always right :)

Also, I wouldn't be worried about adding the stress coat even now, btw.:)
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 
Bowser416

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Yeah up the water changes for sure to 2 x 50% per week with gravel vac. Your ph and gh/kh are high so that can be hard on fins. I would use Prime as an additive because there could be clorine heavy metals and chloromide as well but it can also help control the ammonia levels. Salt is ok but you can only use for a short time period and I personally not a big fan. You may want to get a product like Paraguard as well its a killer on ecto parasites like fin rot and Ich very broad spectrum, its worked well for me. good luck.
Yea I've been trying to lower the gh/kh by mixing some tap water with RO water, but I haven't quite figured out the ratio to use :/
I still have NovAqua + & AmQuel + that I could use as additives and I will definitely look into Paraguard. I have Triple Sulfa, do you think his fin rot is bad enough to use it?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 
logisticsguy

Yeah it can be tricky to lower safely and get the right ratio. Having a good test kit and running some experiments on ratio is how I set mine. It must be done slow so as not to shock them. Amquel+ is very good. Triple S can be a bit strong I think. Paraguard is more mild and should take care of the rot no problem. i like to have it around as a good general med as its anti fungal, bacterial, viral and parasite. For tough cases you can use it in a dip.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote