Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
Aeroggi

Question What type of fish/Betta is he? Any name suggestions?

Hello! I'm Aeroggi or just Aero. I'm new to this community and a first time Betta owner. I've seen Bettas being treated horribly by friends and family members and I don't want to do the same for my Betta. I'm not a first time fish owner though, I know the basics of maintaining an aquarium and the requirements for different species of fish.
I was always interested in Bettas but never really got one.... but thanks to my aunt, she bought me one last week from her LFS. I was more than happy to take him, but I wasn't really prepared (I was two weeks in cycling the tank when I got him)... so he is still in his little cup until I get his tank cycled.

So my question is what type of Betta would my little guy would be identified as. And any name suggestions? (Sorry for the phone quality pictures, compared to the nice pictures I see on here .___.')
Aeroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #2 
PooterFish

I'm not a super expert at iding bettas yet, but he looks like he could be a dragon scale and either a delta or young halfmoon. Hard to tell without seeing him flaring. When I saw him, the name Sylus popped into my head..
PooterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #3 
PooterFish

Also, I LOVE him, he's prettyyyyy!
PooterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #4 
ZubinBetta

You might call him "Ravioli." Your pictures are remarkably good "for a phone"--even as I write this you might look at my avatar (a picture which I took with what I thought was a very good camera) and conclude that the instrument is only as good as the expertise behind it.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 
JadeAngel

Looks like a dragon scale betta.

Put a mirror up to the side of his tank so he flares. If his tail spreads to a full 180, he's a halfmoon betta. HMs often look like deltas or super deltas when they're relaxed. If his tail spread goes a little less than 180, he's a super delta, and if it doesn't spread more than the photo shows when he's flaring at his reflection, then he's a delta.

Blank on name ideas atm though
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 
Aeroggi

Thanks! Sylus and Ravioli sounds nice!
I've been trying to make him flare for the longest time with a mirror, minor successful. Most of the time he does is swim towards it. Hmm, not very aggressive boy... But when he did, his tail did stretched a lot, but I have to see it again cause it was like three sec.
I actually took about 30 - 40 pictures and only five was actually clear... But thanks! I shall take one when he is flaring next time!

I thought he was a dragon scale, but the one at Petsmart/co looks different than mine.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #7 
Aeroggi

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...01310-57PM.png

I finally got the tank cycled, and after my water change, the tank is currently at ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, and Nitrate is about 10 ppm. The temperature is 81 degrees and the pH is about 8.2.

I thought he was a shy guy at first but he gotten really active in the ten gallon, for the first three hours he flared at himself. Even though he started to flare more it was still hard to take a picture, he kept moving around. I'll try to get better pictures soon.

To me at least, he either looks like a super delta or Half moon. For the name I decided to name him Ravi. Ravioli felt a little long so I shorten it to Ravi. Thanks ZubinBetta for the name :)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #8 
ZubinBetta

Ravi is a great name, glad to help. He's really lovely, beautiful rays in his tail! Do you know to plug the holes in the bottoms of those pots, so he doesn't try to squeeze through? Many happy returns with your new friend.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #9 
Aeroggi

For the pots, I actually made like an upside down plant. I have live planes with him and so instead of shoving them in the gravel I put the plants with smaller or thin roots in the holes. And for the bigger pots I either broke them and smoothed the edges out or buried the holes within the gravel after breaking them at an angle. I was kind of worried that he would squeeze through the holes too
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 
Flapmon

I don't know why, but when I look at him all I see is 'Phillip'.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta 10gallon, new beginner, new betta, new member