Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2009, 02:43 AM   #41 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Faith also states that "some strains are more peaceful and can sometimes be kept in groups." So not ALL strains can be housed together. I find it amusing that you left this out and that you left out the part saying "do not try this at home."
LOL! wow your comment shows how much you really don't pay attention, and just simply like to argue!
Think you need to take a chill pill, as you're not going to effect my opinion.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #42 
Kim

The lines mean nothing, its the overall colour that you need to look at. Most fish when they are ready to breed change colours, look at the African Cichlids as a perfect example. With Bettas the best way is to look for the ovipositor, which is the fish's reproduction organs, THAT is the best way to be 100% certain she is ready to breed. They are located in front of the anal fin (thats the fin on the bottom right in front of the tail) and looks like a little white tube sticking out maybe a millimeter or two. Look for the International Betta Congress's website and talk to them, ESPECIALLY Dr. Gene Lucas, the man is a geneticist for bettas and has bred some of the varieties we have today, he is a regular columnist for FAMA magazine, you can also send him questions through that publictation.
Source(s):

20 + years experience
BeginnerBreeder Winnipeg Aquarium Society (Including Bettas)
Intermediate Horticulturalist Winnipeg Aquarium Society
Former Member Canadian Rift Lake Cichlid Association
Former Member International Betta Congress

Obviously, this post is talking about breeding bettas, therefore is referring to the vertical stripes referred to as breeding bars. Many people use the presence of these as an indication of when a betta is ready to breed, thus the reason for that section. The stripes that I was referring to is the horizontal stripe running the length of the body called a stress stripe. A happy betta will not have a stress stripe.

As far as CAE's go, as 1077 said, they get aggressive and switch over to eating meat as they get OLDER. Just because your's is peaceful now, doesn't mean that he will always be. Just out of curiosity, did Blue's tailrot get better when he was moved to a different tank?

I also find it interesting that you say that you have exceptional bettas and that not all bettas can get along. If you truly believe this, then why in the world would you post these comments obviously meant to defend your situation on a public message board? This is just giving younger/less experienced betta owners the wrong idea, which is why most of us would simply say "no, do not put males and females together". If you were actually the mature person, you would not feel the need to argue your point when someone states that males and females can't be kept together. You could simply know for yourself that your tank is working and not need to spread this potentially dangerous information to an uncensored audience.

Last edited by Kim; 05-02-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #43 
Chicklet

Quote:
LOL! wow your comment shows how much you really don't pay attention, and just simply like to argue!
Think you need to take a chill pill, as you're not going to effect my opinion.
Seems to me you always have to "have a come back & like to pursue any possible avenues for an arguement",
Someone who doesn't want an arguement will walk away and say no more.
Perhaps you need to take your own advice and take a "chill pill"

Maybe I am wrong, But I kinda thought we was all here to help others,
Not argue & bicker with each other..

Last edited by Chicklet; 05-02-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #44 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol Actually, I DO pay attention , do my research and listen to people on this forum who have more experience than me. It was never my intention to start world war 3. I don't like to argue on the forum and never have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #45 
Haeclark

kim: No it didnt get worse after the move. It only relapses if I don't add enough store bought [RO] water, adding more treated tap water, and then dont do a water change within the week I normal flush their tank.

The CAE is so not an issue to me, that Im not even wasting any more time on it!

The breeding stripes was more of an info tip then anything about the stress stripes...but you would have known that if you read the first line above it ;D [Red P Mermaid dosent always show stress stripes...only if I dont feed her quick enough, and sometimes when guppies bug her]

Quote:
...then why in the world would you post these comments obviously meant to defend your situation on a public message board? This is just giving younger/less experienced betta owners the wrong idea, which is why most of us would simply say "no, do not put males and females together". If you were actually the mature person, you would not feel the need to argue your point when someone states that males and females can't be kept together.
My reasons [short list]:
A] I would be a lying to everyone, not helping them nor giving them right info [teach them dont lie to them]
B] I would not have the tank I have now, as I did it form other success stories and advice on how to do it correctly
C] It turned into a "defense post" through you, chicklet, DQ, and 1077's replies on how it can't / shouldn't be done!
D] My original post's intent was not to start "WW3" as DQ stated...but to answer the questioner that "yes" infact Bettas can be put together if you do it right!
Quote:
You could simply know for yourself that your tank is working and not need to spread this potentially dangerous information to an uncensored audience
E] that's the main reason behind why I continue to respond. But simply knowing is not enough. If everyone simply was content with knowledge and never acted on their beliefs...then my dear, this country would not be what it stands for!

Ckicklet...of course Ill always say something back ;D Especially when people keep responding to me! "Someone who doesn't want an argument will walk away and say no more." LOL guess that means you like to argue too ;D If you took your own advise, you would not have commented.

DQ- I only stated that as you made a comment stating I missed information that I actually posted in previous comments...lol, you sure seem to like to argue as your comments elude! But that's not a bad thing IMO. Only if it starts getting ugly and uncalled for naming, ect arises.

People have the right to disagree. And people have the right to do whatever they want. This dose not mean you should tell them what you think they should do unless they ask you.
I never said everyone should go ahead and put their Betta's together, but Im not going to say you can't do it at all either! That would be a lie. There is a way to do things, and a way not to. Seems I was lucky enough to do it right. I just wanted to pass that along.

Last edited by Haeclark; 05-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote