Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #1 
HeroicPoison

Question What kind is snails are these?!

What kind of snails are they? And are they betta safe?
They are pretty little guys and will most likely multiply quickly, will the bettas eat them? Is that ok for my bettas? I don't want to add anything I'm not 100% sure about to my tanks.
TIA

HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 
InfiniteGlory

Those are ramshorn snails and they might be betta safe. I say that because my betta likes to snack on them no matter what size. No guarantee that your betta's will snack on them but there is only one way to find out. How many do you have? I count at least 6.

can you share with us your tank(s) setup?
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 
shellieca

IDK about ramshorn. The ones I've seen have a smoother shell & its shaped like a rams horn, like a spiral but I could be wrong it wouldn't be the 1st time. Here's a link for a pic https://www.google.com/search?q=rams...XrCBiSae_zM%3A My 1st though was Mystery snails but IDK, they don't look quite right. Sorry, I don't recognize them as anything I'm familiar with, the closest IMO is a mystery snail.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

they look like ramshorn snails that did not have much calcium supplement and caused their shell to deform.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison

They were given to me ... There are just the six. Their shells are about... Hmm.. Almost the size of a dime.
I can either put them in a 5g 10g or 20g. All filtered and heated with java moss... Idk if the moss makes a difference.
Are they hard to care for? Do they need anything special? Will my bettas suck them out of their shells or eat their shells?! They are cute little guys but not cute enough to risk one of my babies lives
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ramshorns! Yes, they will multiply... Quickly. The shells are from bad water. They don't really require anything special and they should be left alone if they are bigger then the bettas mouth. Lots of my bettas have ramshorns a in with them and I have never had problems.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #7 
InfiniteGlory

Mine has taken out several small ones about the size of a pencil eraser. He left nothing but an empty shell.

As for one of my largers ones about the size of a dime. He attacked it on two occasions and the snail was missing half of it's foot after the first attack. The last attack finally did it in.

Spread them out among your tanks and enjoy. If you ever need to control the population just sink a piece of cucumber on the bottom before lights out and they will be all over it the next morning. Then place the piece of cucumber with the snails in a plastic bag and place it in the freezer. It's the only humane way I know of.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Those guys shells look like they need some help. Try feeding them some high calcium food like zucchini.

Their shells should be smooth, like that guy.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

Do they multiply on their own? Or do you need two
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Once introduced into the aquarium they will breed prolifically, they are hermaphroditic, this means that if the tank only contains two snails they will manage to reproduce regardless of whatever sex they supposedly are. If left to their own means they will reproduce away to their hearts content. When the clusters of eggs are laid, depending on the water temperature, they should hatch any time between 2 weeks right up to 5 weeks.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote