Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #21 
justmel

Took some pictures while cleaning tanks today.

• In order of appearance we have Hades, my CTPK & first betta shipped to me. Had to wait 4 days before they showed. The 3 girls I was getting with him didn't makes it, but this handsome guy did. I'd like to breed him but not sure he has a good form for it or not. He's got giant geno, so I'd really like to pair him with my king female it I can't get a better female for him.
  • Then there's Ra. He's my HMDT & it looks like the male I will be breeding. At the time of the pictures he's showing off to Hades while Hades flares at him.
  • Next comes baby B. We picked up 3 babies from petco (A, B, & C). We lost baby C, but A & B are still going good. I don't think B here can be considered a baby anymore and is definitely a boy. He needs a name.
  • Baby A I just don't know. I go back and forth between if we have a boy or girl here. Still really small. (S)he does display an egg spot, but the ventrails are getting awfully long and the anal fin is rather pointed. Opinions anyone? Is baby A a male or female?
  • Then we have Gema. My sweet little girl that got hurt in the sorority. I mean really hurt. She's not made for sorority life & will live in her own tank unless I need to divide a 5 gallon because I get another female that won't do well in a sorority.
  • And finally a few pictures of some of my 33 day old fry!
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, cute!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #23 
justmel

Lots of things going on here that is making everything more difficult. I live in a 3 bdroom townhouse that allows no 4 legged, furred pets. At the same time my brother is going through a divorce. My mom has been living with my brother & his family for the last 3 - 4 yrs, and the sister-in-law said she HAD to go once the divorce started. SO with no other family in the area my mom had to move in here. Of course she has pets that I can't ask her to give up, so we've ended up with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 ferrets, & 2 rats (8 furred, four legged pets). She moved in last weekend and the rental office told us yesterday the dogs (they don't know about the others) have to go or we do. Again, no family here. No one that can take the pets for a couple weeks to months while we find a new place and move. We are looking at being evicted & homeless again for the 2nd time in 3 years. Lots of stress. Not sure what we are going to do, but these pets are the only thing my mom has. She's lost everything else in the last 4 years and been made to feel like a burden when living with my brothers family (my brother is in the Navy and not always home to see the way she was treated, I don't blame him). She lived in her bedroom with all these pets. No she's here, we want her here, but what are we supposed to do? Mom feels totally out of control of her life and taking her babies away would only make that worse.

With everything going on I don't have a lot of time to enjoy my bettas anymore. Just do the work I need to to keep them clean and healthy. They've become a job rather than a pleasure. I'm sure once things settle I'll be able to enjoy them again & will just keep up until that time comes. ANYWAY, I did take time to take a few pictures of my fry yesterday while cleaning their tank.

5 weeks 2 days old
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #24 
justmel

I've found out this last week that I can count out getting any help from my family with my fish, even if 5 of them I am left caring for belong to my 15 year old daughter. I broke my foot a week ago today, and keeping up with all my bettas has not been an easy thing at all. I admit I've even had to let a few go an extra day between water changes. While I have been limping around carrying gallons of water here & there my foot has been swelling and by dinner time I can't keep the tears from slipping out because the pain is so bad, my family has just watched. I have to give my mom credit, she did offer to help. Now, my mom is disabled, has diabetes, and enphazima (spelling?) yet she's offered to help while no one else has. Sad, huh? Of course I couldn't let my mom help because the work is more than she should be doing. In fact once I get her betta upgraded to the proper size tank I will have another one to take care of, in yet another room, but that is because it's my mom and she physically cannot do the water changes herself.

Normally I wouldn't complain. I didn't expect any of them would help me, at least not until I can start paying my teenager to do the work. What really gets me is the fact that my daughter cares for 1 of her 6 bettas and has an empty, heated 10 gallon tank in her room too. As for my fiance he has 2 goldfish that he does nothing for. He moved their bowl awhile back to where I don't see it regularly and I noticed today the water was brown! I don't see the goldfish often, so I hadn't realized it got so bad, but they have no been added to my water changing schedule. So while I care for their fish, when I have a broken bone they can't even offer to give me a hand. My daughter doesn't know it yet, but she gets no more fish. MAYBE I will reconsider when she has all of her bettas and has cared for them properly for 6 months.

Everyone is caught up on water changes now & I think I've got myself a good schedule worked out. I don't get a day off from tank cleaning, but I wanted the bettas. I still do and generally I still enjoy caring for them. I just wish my foot would stop so I could do it without all the pain.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #25 
justmel

Thumbs up Meet the Bettas: Monster

Monster is my daughters second betta on the list. Luv was a gift, but she picked Monster. He's a pretty blue VT with some white strips through his fins. Vivian fell for him because he was the biggest betta she'd ever seen. It was rather funny, I didn't see as he was any bigger than Mr. Fish or Luv but she came up to me all thinking this fish was HUGE, hence the name Monster.

He's really quite a sweety. Of course he flares at any male he sees, but with us he's a lover. He was the first betta I got to hand feed. He used to jump out of his tank and eat live brine shrimp from my finger. It scared me the first time since I wasn't expecting it, but it came to be great fun & he'd start jumping when he saw me coming. I think he enjoyed it as much as I did.

Here's Monster
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #26 
justmel

Things are starting to look up and I get to move all 46 betta (6 week old fry included) and 7 other fish over the weekend. We're moving from our 3 bdroom place to a 4 bdroom place. The living room is quite a bit longer than our current one and I'm planning on putting shelves along one wall for all my bettas [any suggestions on shelves that hold up well to multiple fish tanks? Mostly 10 gallons ( 3 -5 of them) and possibly a 29 gallon. I might keep my sorority somewhere else though.] It's going to be nice having them all in one place rather than three different rooms! Should still have room in my bedroom for my spawning and grow out tanks as well. There's oak trees all over the yard, so this fall I should be able to gather some of my own for the bettas and mix them in with the IAL I'm picking up.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #27 
justmel

Busy week - 12 new bettas (pic heavy-2 parts)

Its been a couple of crazy weeks here. Weve moved and are still settling in the new place. Been here for over a week and were still living out of boxes. Only thing totally unpacked and set up are the bettas! Since the move Ive gotten 12 new bettas also. A few were a surprise, a few I expected.
The second day of moving my computer was still hooked up at the old apartment because I still had to do school work. Luckily I decided to check the forums while there because I had a message from a member that told me she had shipped the 2 girls she said she was going to over a month ago! No big deal really, at least not since I got the message and was able to arrange a ride and sit at the old apartment waiting for the mailman to get there with my fishies. So Monday, May 6th, I got 2 blue grizzle sisters for my sorority. They have got the cutest little faces and I feel in love right away and named them Artemis and Selene. I cant wait until they are out of QT and I can introduce them to the other ladies.
Then awhile back, before I found the forums even, I had arranged with someone I know on FB to buy a breeding pair of chocolate HMs from her. She had stuff going on in her own life that has made her have to quite breeding and sell off her stock, so I was going to buy a pair of yellow grizzle HMs from her as well. When the time finally came that she was ready to ship she asked if she could send me a few more of her babies. No charge, she just needed a good home for them. I said yes, and ended up with 6 new males and 4 females from her. All were supposedly breeding stock, and while at least half the boys are recovering from fin rot not a single one really looks good enough for breeding. Still Hephaestus, Kanaloa, Loki, Jupiter, Proteus, Quetzalcoatl, Pele, Cocomama, Nyx, and Minerva have joined the family as well.

The new family members
First the sisters Artemis & Selene. Not breedable, but I knew that when I agreed to take them in and help a forum member out. These poor ladies are about 8-9 months old and were originally bought by one forum member for breeding from Aquabid. When she got them and saw the quality she rightly got upset since it wasnt what she paid for and rehomed them with another forum member trying to set up a sorority. This forum member had a family emergency and had to cancel her plans for a sorority and rehome her ladies, so I took them in. In their short lives theyve been shipped 3 times. They arent going back in a box, but are home to stay.

Now these are all supposed to be HMs, but Im still not sure of that. Since all the males are obviously starving and in poor health I will wait until they get better to make too much of a judgment on them, but I am less than happy with the quality of fish I received when I was told all were good enough to breed. I have a feeling at least half of them may be looking for new home after I help them get better.

The boys
Hephaestus: This guy, Ive been told, is a green marble. As you can see his body just isnt right. No breeding for him. He also has no ventrals. I personally have no clue what causes this, but the lady I got him from swears he had them when she put him in the bag for shipping. Since weve gotten him he chewed his caudal almost completely off (my fault, with all the new bettas I havent been able to give each the amount of attention they should get and didnt realize he was doing this until yesterday.) Hes got quite a bit of spunk and a wonderful little personality, but with wanting to breed 30 pet quality bettas is just too many. This little guy will likely be looking for a new home, but not for a while yet.

Jupiter I fell in love with this guys coloring. He was sold to me as multi-color HM. Out of the males I received his fins are in the best order. I havent seen him flare, so I have no clue if hes an HM or not. If it turns out that hes really not desirable as a breeder I will likely rehome him as well. Still, hes as skinny as all the others, so hell stay here at least until Im sure hes a healthy boy.

Kanaloa This guys fins are in the saddest condition and I believe is the 1 bettas I was warned was recovering from fin rot. I cannot get straight answers as to how hes been treated so far, just that hes been in and out of AQ salt. For right now Im just keeping him clean and warm. Wednesday I plan on putting him in AQ salt again since I will know hes had at least a weeks break then. Ive been told hes a yellow grizzle/pineapple boy. Im hopeful that I will be able to breed him with his sister, Pele, and may hold onto him.

Loki My daughter has claimed this boy. Hes healing from fin rot too, but she fell in love and named him as soon as he came out of the bag. Of the 6 boys I got this is the only one I am definitely planning on keeping in the family. I was told hes a blue/yellow multi-color betta, just like Jupiter above. Lokis blue looks more green most of the time though.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #28 
justmel

pt 2

Proteus The second green marble HM I was sent. Not a whole lot I can say about him. He looks starved. I dont know how to express how starved these poor boys look. They are tiny, my 4 month old boy I got from titolatino, Hades, is probably 3x the size of this guy (& bigger than all the others too). In fact, some of my 7week old fry are fatter than most of these boys L. Luckily everyone is eating. Ive feeding them between 3-6 times a day, a mix of pellets and frozen beef heart right now. I want to get something else to feed them this weekend too, but thats what I have for now. Hopefully I got them in time and they will all pull through.

Quetzalcoatl This guy is starved, healing from fin rot, and as you can kind of see in this picture was covered in a grey slimy/fuzzy stuff when I got him. I put him in AQ salt when I unbagged him regardless of what treatment he may have gotten and the fuzzy/slimy stuff is gone. Not sure what he is going to be when his fin grows back. Looks like another Loki or Jupiter to me, so what I was told is a multi-color. Which also means I did not get the chocolate breeding pair I was supposed to get?

And the ladies I received in this shipment. Not as bad off as the boys. These girls are fat and sassy for the most part, but Im not so sure about breedable quality.

Cocomama Chocolate HM (?) Still trying to learn everything on breeding, but I believe her top line is not quite good enough, it dips quite a bit at the nose (more than the pic shows) and her fins are uneven. If Im wrong about her worth for breeding someone please correct me!

Minerva I actually thought Minerva was rather ugly when I first got her. Since she has been here and shes unstressed she really is a pretty lady. I was told she is a yellow grizzle HM. Breedable? I just dont know at this point.

Nyx Not a very good picture & she hates the camera. I was told this is the chocolate female HM that I bought as part of a breeding pair.

Pele blue & yellow grizzle/pineapple HM. Can they really be both? This is what the breeder I got these bettas from told me she was. She is my favorite female from the bunch so far and will very likely stay with us. I might end up rehoming some of the girls, but since I am still trying to stock a 29 gallon sorority they might all stay. I am hoping that Pele will make a good match with her brother, Kanaloa, above and I can get 1 decent breeding pair out of these 10 so called good quality, breedable bettas.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #29 
justmel

Along with all these new bettas, 2 of my heaters broke in the move. So I've had to combine a few things to make it work. My 29 gallon sorority tank now have 13 males is little container so they can be heated & my 10 gallon spawning tank has 8 ladies,all my new females plus 2 that got into it in the sorority.

I have 3 girls; Amor, Lofn, & Freya, that were part of a failed sorority. Amor was the alpha, Lofn the runner up, & Freya the one that got picked on all the time (I had more than 3 ladies! 1 ended up being a boy & the other female ended up so hurt she will never go back in a sorority) Anyway, I got enough females to try again. It was quickly apparent that these 3 lady just would not get along. i removed Amor & Lofn because they were the worst of the three. Freya flared at all the other ladies and gave a little chase, but it was like she was just making sure everyone knew she was not going to be on the bottom again. Amor I put in a breeding box in the tank to see if I could get her to behave. The first time I released her she cornered Freya and just started beating her. Needless to say Amor came out quickly, so did Freya as I wasn't quick enough to keep her from getting tore up so she went into AQ salt. Amor went back to time out & after 2 weeks in there she was fine. She'd flare and chase, but as soon as the other ladies backed down she was happy. SO, I put Lofn in the breeder box. Less than 1 week later she found a way out of the box and into the main tank. I didn't notice until then next morning (I think she got out over night) when I saw Amor. She was all beat up. Her anal fin tore to shreds and almost gone & her caudal all frayed. I'm not sure who got the worse, as Lofn's dorsal was shredded and one side was so scrapped it was almost all flesh colored. Freya got a bit too, but only her dorsal. All three have been removed and are being treated with AQ salt. I'm very happy to say all are mending well.

Still, at this point I do not think that Amor or Lofn will be going back into the sorority. I have 1 female already that doesn't handle sorority life, so I will divide a 10 gallon for these three ladies. Once Freya is better I will put her in the box for awhile, then re-release her.

The good news is this new place is HUGE compaired to my old apartment. I've gotten permission to set up all (not my spawning or grow out tanks) my tanks in the livingroom. We have an empty 13' wall and are going to be building shelves to house my tanks. It will be a little while (more likely a long while), but once it's done I will post pictures.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #30 
justmel

YEAH! My mom's two bettas have been moved to her room. Now I just need to get her to do the water changes as needed. I already upgraded her betta, Ming, from a little .75 gal tank to a divided 5 gallon and got him a heater. Her second betta, previously my Mani, shares the other side of the tank.

Now to get my daughters room finished so she can take her 4 gallon tank with her HMPKEE, Aragast, to her room. I know her divided 10 gallon is staying in the living room because of the lack of space in her bedroom. She swears she will still clean it. We'll see. She knows if I end up doing all the care for her bettas I reserve the right to rehome them as I see fit.