Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #1 
LaniBaby

My Experience with Tahitian Moon Sand

I went out yesterday and got Tahitian Moon Sand (there's a thread in the care forum regarding rinsing and everything I did with it.) I put it in this morning and for the last hour, Crumb has been poking at it. He got in, eyed it suspiciously, and began inspecting each piece that wasn't quite black to see if it was food. Now he's touching it cautiously and staring at it, then me, then it, then me. It's sort of funny. I wanted the white sand but when I got to the store it was so fine it was practically like flour. This one's quite heavy and after some good rinsing, didn't cloud the water at all. Here are some photos of Crumb's new substrate and him inspecting it. Some are mildly unfocused but it's hard to get shots of a tank that is no longer reflecting light and a moving fish. :) I've removed his short front grasses so I could observe him better for now. I'll probably change out Bluey's substrate this week.
Attached Images

LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cute pics! He's a curious little guy, isn't he?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #3 
whitedevil

that white bag musta been crushed badly, my white sand looks just like your black sand does. looks great.

My betta does do this too, infact he is eating off the bottom now instead of the top like half the time now its kinda neat, and he will even get the bloodworms moving around so the neons and cories can get some too. Its quite amusing.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

there were about 5 bags of that white sand and it was extremely fine. it almost made me cough. i'm not sure what was up with it.

DQ: he is!! He inspects EVERYTHING! including the butter knife i put in there to brush off bubbles. He was refusing to get in the cup to be transfered back in his tank so i put my hand in and ushered him in. He looked annoyed and then finally was like Ok.... and he just swam right in. He's a really funny little betta. Not afraid of ANYTHING.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #5 
whitedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniBaby View Post
there were about 5 bags of that white sand and it was extremely fine. it almost made me cough. i'm not sure what was up with it.

DQ: he is!! He inspects EVERYTHING! including the butter knife i put in there to brush off bubbles. He was refusing to get in the cup to be transfered back in his tank so i put my hand in and ushered him in. He looked annoyed and then finally was like Ok.... and he just swam right in. He's a really funny little betta. Not afraid of ANYTHING.
they were open?
mine came in a sealed bag. If that black sand was white it would be the same as what you ended up with.

Colors do that to your mind.

Last edited by whitedevil; 05-06-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: hit wrong button
Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #6 
GrinningLotus

Oh wow, the sand really brings out the fish itself and the tank decorations. Also he's a very pretty fish. ^_^
GrinningLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #7 
LaniBaby

nono, it wasn't open. it was just ripped a little i think so some of it was coming out of one of them. the one i bought was sealed for sure.

i heard the black sand brought out fish colors so he seems to be popping a little more! i'll see what it does to my blue/black guy. and thank you. i think he's pretty, too. :)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #8 
whitedevil

where did you get it from? the white is just really dusty, im not sure how the black is since i dont use it.

Im added rocks from my house to the tank and that seems to bring more color into the tank, I mean I like white I like the super clean look of it but these native river rocks are very colorful and the fish love em, every new rock they gotta check out and hang out on it till the kuhlis emerge from the rock "creek" then its all over the kuhlis take em over.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #9 
LaniBaby

i stuck some of my old blue glass stones in there. i made a little "walking path" for him. it looks nice. adds a little light. Maybe eventually I'll get white. I don't know. If you look at the caribsea website, it says that the white sand is much finer than the black. This stuff that i found (both caribsea) was definitely super powdery. maybe yours is a different brand?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the stones look great in your tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tahitian moon sand