Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #11 
Mar

Didn't even need to stalk! Just looked to the left lmaooo.
Ok, stainless steel it is :)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #12 
paris38

Hey guys thank you soo much for your replies sorry I didn't reply sooner.I think I might get some red cherry shrimp. For quartine would they be okay in just a one gallon tank?
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #13 
Kiara1125

Yep! I currently have about 30 RCS in a 1g bowl. They love it more than my tanks. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #14 
paris38

Would they need a heater?Thanks for your help!Also, where could I find cheap rcs my Petco doesn't seem to hae them.

Last edited by paris38; 04-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #15 
Kiara1125

Yes, but I don't have a heater for my bowl currently. It's getting warmer outside and therefore the water stays warmer. Still, they like temps from 68-82F in my experience.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #16 
Picasso84

Thanks for starting this thread! Because I was just wondering the same thing! :)

Out of curiosity, can u order RCS online?
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #17 
Mar

Yep, right here
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #18 
RussellTheShihTzu

Be aware that shrimp are very sensitive; especially to changes in pH. I know, I killed a few dozen before I got educated. They also like a mature, stable tank so if yours is still cycling or not been stable for very long, you might want to wait. I wish I had.

I, would buy a couple of small (around 1/2") Ghost/Glass shrimp to see if you can keep shrimp alive; that way you spend less than $1.00 instead of $30 or more if you order RCS. I wish I had done that, too. If they're still doing well after a month or six weeks, return them to the pet store or give them their own bowl and order some RCS. And when you buy the RCS, ask for ones at least 1/2" long so they won't "get et." Do not buy Crystal Red Shrimp; they are really, really sensitive.

You probably don't need to quarantine them. But if you do, they prefer cooler temperatures so they don't need a heater.

There's a really good subforum for invertebrates at theplantedtank.net. Have fun but remember.....Shrimp can become an addiction!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #19 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
There's a really good subforum for invertebrates at theplantedtank.net. Have fun but remember.....Shrimp can become an addiction!
From personal experience, that is an AMAZING site. There's a guy who gets photos of nearly everything! The teeth of neon tetras to the hatching of RCS. Anyways, it's sooo true! Shrimp can become an addiction. I started out with ghost shrimp, but I took them back because they attacked my betta. Then, I moved to RCS and Amano Shrimp. Next stop is gonna be Crystal Red and Crystal Black Shrimp. There's so many amazing types of shrimp out there, but the easiest ones to keep [due to how easy they are to breed] are Neocaridina heteropoda which are RCS [and variants of it such as Fire Red Shrimp and Sakura Shrimp] and Neocaridina heteropoda var "yellow" which are Yellow Shrimp. Yep, just a different color variation, but still. Pretty!

Here's a list of a ton of shrimp on planetinverts. http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_species.html
Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #20 
RussellTheShihTzu

I started out like the OP; just wanted some algae-eating tankmates for Willie and Si. I wish I'd spent 36 cents for small Ghosties instead of all the $$ I dropped on eBay for Red Cherry Shrimp and postage.

Now I'm thinking of making a 20L dedicated to shrimp....but I'll put a Betta in it. Was going to do a divided tank but changed my mind.

To the OP: Whatever you decide, you'll enjoy your Betta/Shrimp combination. I have one shrimp that charges and bumps Si and darts away. If Si doesn't chase, he does it again. I know it's the same shrimp because he's the only survivor of two batches of RCS...one tough cookie so that's his name "Cookie."
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote