Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #1 
ModFish

What would you do? Need expert help.

Need a bit of guidance. Been reading a lot on the site about fin rot. Looks like it's progressing.... Need to control it STAT. Did 3 days of Aquarium Salt but shifted and just administered dose #4 of Tetracycline. I swear its not getting better. Don't want to tax the poor guy. He appears to be fine other then the fin rot. The challenge is that the edges of his tails/fins are naturally rimed in black so it's hard to know if it's regrowth or rot.
(What he's to look like when healthy is no the left)
Name:  muma 1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  24.2 KB

Will wait 24 hours then do a 1.5 g H2o change tomorrow. Then what? Just got Muma from Thailand last Wednesday so I really dont want to stress him more then what hes gone through. Thinking of doing a series of H2o changes 1.5 g every day until the Tetracycline is out, to give him a bit of a break, but then what? Jungle Fungus Clear? A treatment of Maracyn 2? What would you do? Thanks for the advise.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g, Fluval Spec V
What temperature is your tank? 78 81 (its been hot and no AC)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Cherry Shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% and 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and IAL

Water Parameters:
Have not tested. All 0 PH is around 7.6

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Described above.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems happy as he has one rockn bubble nest going.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Thursday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt for 3 days (including the day of his arrival recommended by breeder) then on the 4 dose of Tetracycline.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I dont know. He's new
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months old
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

78-81 is fine for temperature. Most of mine never see below 78, and I only worry when it is passing 85 when I did not want it to be that! Look on ebay or a fish store for small aquarum fans ;)

Anyways, to me it does not look like fin rot. He is chewing down his fins. Because he is a halfmoon, it is pretty common. The heavier, larger fins weigh them down and they can chew them down to make swimming better.
Another reason for fin biting is from stress. Since he is still fairly new to you, the water levels (PH, metals, etc) are different, the environment is different, and the food probably is too.

There are more than those for reasons of fin biting however there are times you will never be able to stop them from biting.

Also, have you predissolved the salt before adding?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 
ModFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
78-81 is fine for temperature. Most of mine never see below 78, and I only worry when it is passing 85 when I did not want it to be that! Look on ebay or a fish store for small aquarum fans ;)

Anyways, to me it does not look like fin rot. He is chewing down his fins. Because he is a halfmoon, it is pretty common. The heavier, larger fins weigh them down and they can chew them down to make swimming better.
Another reason for fin biting is from stress. Since he is still fairly new to you, the water levels (PH, metals, etc) are different, the environment is different, and the food probably is too.

There are more than those for reasons of fin biting however there are times you will never be able to stop them from biting.

Humm, Ive never seen him chase his tail/fins. The way he zooms through the tank leads me to think that hes fine with his fins.

Yes, when I did administer Aquarium Salt I did dissolve it first so not to burn the little guy.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Fin Rot progresses with heat... Bettas do prefer at least 78F water temp but with fin rot you can lower it to 76F DONT GO LOWER! anything below 76F is dangerous for your betta. Lower the temp slowly... no more than 1 degree per hour. This will stop it from spreading quickly.
Continue treatment (since it has been started) at the end of it put him in clean (non medicated water) Add a small amount of fresh water every 15 mins if the cup over flows pour that extra water out and dump it, and let him sit for a day and observe his fins.
Regrowth will never be black, even if that is the colour of his fins, it grows as a clear white colour and will regain pigment later on.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Awesome :) well most of the time we never see it... I have had so many little tailbiters some with different reasons: one liked the high traffic area, another liked divided tanks, another hated divided tanks, one hated small tanks, one liked small tanks, one wanted more attention, one had heavy fins... x.x

Anyways, basically keep the water clean and warm as usual. Try new things... Different light, more hiding spots (fabric and silk plants are great), etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post

+1 to that. I think you've got a bitter. My Neptune is a bitter too (he's a HM as well). He has bitten it down pretty good in the past. But, I will say adding IAL to his tank and switching to Stress Coat + seem to have stopped him. He still takes a few chunks out here and there, but it's not anywhere near as bad as in the past. I've never seen him bite it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

They're stealthy... But leave behind evidence. lol
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #8 
ModFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
+1 to that. I think you've got a bitter. My Neptune is a bitter too (he's a HM as well). He has bitten it down pretty good in the past. But, I will say adding IAL to his tank and switching to Stress Coat + seem to have stopped him. He still takes a few chunks out here and there, but it's not anywhere near as bad as in the past. I've never seen him bite it.
Thanks, I'll get some Stress Coat + tomorrow and add an extra IAL (small) to his tank plus an additional 1.5 g H2o change. I'm perplexed as to why his tail is black at he end of the "grooves"?

Appreciate the help!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

It is black because it is the natural coloring. I had a halfmoon dragonscale who had the same coloration.