Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #21 
Deanna01

Tete, what width did you cut your dividers to? I tried the 10" in the tutorial, and it seems way too big for my standard 10g--I'm getting way too much bow.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #22 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Tete, what width did you cut your dividers to? I tried the 10" in the tutorial, and it seems way too big for my standard 10g--I'm getting way too much bow.
Deanna, check the measurements on your 10g. Not all 10g's are standard size.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #23 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
Maybe you can try some dwarf hair grass for the foreground, should go well with the rest and also provide a nice little coverage for them to sneak through.
I do like hairgrass, but am thinking of maybe glosso or dwarf water clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Deanna, I used the tutorial as a jumping off point.. I put the mesh up to the end of the tank, turned it horizontally and vertically to see which would be the most efficient. I marked it, and cut it to the closest grid, using the grid as a measuring device and straight edge. I trimmed back another row or two of mesh just until there was no bowing. I had a sacrificial piece of mesh to experiment with (at 58 cents apiece, thought I'd risk it, lol) Once I was happy with it, I used it for a template for the next divider.
I siliconed the binders to both sides of the tank and the bottom of the tank and slid the fitted mesh into it. Once it was in (took a little wiggling) I put a piece of binder on the top. The mesh itself is not attached. Very stable, yet the mesh can be removed. Mind you, it would be a PIA to get it back in...

HTH
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #24 
Deanna01

Oh, putting a piece of binder on the top is a great idea! I needed to trim off two more rows and still have a bit of bow, but I think it is okay.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #25 
TeteRouge

leave as much height as you can so there is as little space as possible between the divider and top. I cut mine to where they just fit under the rim ledge. I had to put a very small notch in for the HOBs to straddle them. :D
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #26 
ShukiAi

Wow, your tank looks fantastic! I'm in the process of cycling a new 30 gallon for my betta sorority and my plan was to use their old 10 gallon and make it a divided like yours. Now I'm even more excited! I hope mine can turn out as lovely as yours. Your bettas are very handsome as well. :D
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #27 
TeteRouge

Thanks! It was fun to do. If I was going divided, I wanted it to look nice.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #28 
Lena N

Dear TeteRouge, want to thank you again for your thread! Got report covers at office depot (2,99$), two were black +1 green,1 red,1 blue. And mesh canvas in Michaels (around 50c each). Returned Top Fin devider to store. Good savings for me, thank you very much!!!!! Maybe you know where to buy Aquarium Clear Suction Cups?
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #29 
bannlow2471

This is just beautiful! I would love to be able to do a 10 gallon divided with my one young boy, Chai Son, and one other male, but I've been told by a lot of people that it would stress them out ... does this not seem to be the case with your boys? I know with my two CT girls who are in a divided 10 gallon (below) they don't seem at all bothered. Occasionally they will both go to the divider (I used a divider kit but I got a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the mesh for additional stability because the mesh that came with the kit didn't seem to be sturdy enough) and swim alongside each other the length of their shared divider, but neither seem upset or stressed, and they don't flare. The rest of the time, they just sort of do their thing. Males are different, though, I know, so I would love any input as to how your males do.
Attached Images

bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #30 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
Dear TeteRouge, want to thank you again for your thread! Got report covers at office depot (2,99$), two were black +1 green,1 red,1 blue. And mesh canvas in Michaels (around 50c each). Returned Top Fin devider to store. Good savings for me, thank you very much!!!!! Maybe you know where to buy Aquarium Clear Suction Cups?
You are welcome, Lena, it was fun to do! I'm afraid I don't know where to find the suction cups. I used DAP Clear silicone to attach mine. I did get an airline tubing kit at Petsmart which has suction cups, but haven't used it-the water is sufficiently oxygenated by the action of the filters/water movement. The bettas seldom go to the top of the tank and are quite energetic. I got my report covers from Walmart (even cheaper, lol) and painted them black w/Krylon Fusion. The Krylon was suggested in many Aquarium DIY threads in a few different forums. Caveat- should wait until completely cured, I waited 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
This is just beautiful! I would love to be able to do a 10 gallon divided with my one young boy, Chai Son, and one other male, but I've been told by a lot of people that it would stress them out ... does this not seem to be the case with your boys? I know with my two CT girls who are in a divided 10 gallon (below) they don't seem at all bothered. Occasionally they will both go to the divider (I used a divider kit but I got a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the mesh for additional stability because the mesh that came with the kit didn't seem to be sturdy enough) and swim alongside each other the length of their shared divider, but neither seem upset or stressed, and they don't flare. The rest of the time, they just sort of do their thing. Males are different, though, I know, so I would love any input as to how your males do.
Thanks, Bannlow! The dark mesh apparently obscures vision enough so the guys really seem quite unaffected by each other. On rare moments, if both are next to the front of the mesh (where the slightly enlarged grid holes are- you can see a couple in the DTHM pic) and peek through, I might get few seconds of flaring, but almost never. They are happy rummaging around in and through the plants, occasionally snoozing and patrolling their sections. BTW, that is a very nice tank your girls are in!