Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #51 
Artemis

Why not the soft claws? The fact is that it is banned in UK, West Hollywood, and some Asian countries.
Quote:
A study of 163 cats that underwent onychectomy, published in the Jul/Aug 1994 Journal of Veterinary Surgery, showed that 50% suffered from immediate postoperative complications, such as pain, hemorrhage, and lameness; and long-term complications including prolonged lameness, were found in nearly 20% of the 121 cats who were followed up in the study.
In a study published in the January 2001 JAVMA, 33% of 39 cats that underwent onychectomy developed at least one behavior change immediately after surgery, with the most common problems being litter box problems and biting.
The cat's have problems using the litter box and often need very very fine sand so as not to hurt their paws. They bite because they know that they are not equipped for defense with their weapon of choice so use their next weapon which is even more likely for infection they scratches. It's not good and it is like removing your first knuckle.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #52 
Elsewhere

Every cat we have had in my house has been declawed. There have never been any complications whatsoever and no litter box issues except after the surgery when we use the kind that doesn't get in the wound. All of the cats we have had have never bitten (except August when I hold him for too long, he only meows when in pain) and I know all of this. This is happening and cannot be changed, as I don't want to tell my mum that I don't want him to be declawed and lose him to a home that will be horrible. I know exactly who will be swooping in and taking him if I don't, and that home will be awful.

Let me absolutely blunt and perfectly clear: Norman will be declawed. It is not illegal in Canada and not up for debate on this site. I am aware of "complications" that have never happened at the vet I am going to. They have been declawing for over 20 years and I have searched for months to find the best of the best, including extra assistance in the operating room. You will not change my mind on this.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #53 
bettacrazygirl86

May I ask why, exactly, you want to declaw him? You know the possible results and all the complications, and what exactly is going to happen to him, so why do you want to put him through that?

Not all cats are the same, so the new kitten may not be so gentle, especially because he is a kitten and doesn't really know better when it comes to biting. When cats are declawed, their claws can't be used as defense, so they use their teeth. Cat bites are more likely get infected than scratches, and they hurt more. My first cat was declawed, and I have plenty of scars to show how he used his teeth, since he didn't have his claws. My last cat, we didn't declaw. I clipped his claws, and he never once made me bleed when he scratched me, his sister, or my dog. Cats and dogs have very tough skin, and they can't easily be hurt by cat claws if they're playing. If the kitten means to harm them, he will, but it won't be bad enough to actually hurt them. Just enough to make them back off, if he's scared. I really doubt a little kitten can beat up a dog or another older cat badly enough to have to be declawed. There are plenty of alternatives, like the soft paws claw tips, and simply trimming their claws.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #54 
SerenaRena
Banned

So cute! Congratz on getting a kitty! They're awesome pets :)
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #55 
Artemis

Why are you so against the nail caps?
They are WAY cheaper. Declawing can go up to 200 in Ontario. The nail caps are about 20 and you can put them on your self or get them put on by a groomer or vet.

I have been around 5 declawed cats in my life. Every single one had problems that is (in my mind and many experts) the cause of declawing. They are often shy and if not shy they are biters, hissers, and 2/5 are/were just plain aggressive. 4 have litter problems.

Why do you think the other home is bad? Why are you so certain? If they don't declaw it could be better for the cat. I don't get why you know the risks vs no real reward and still choose to harm him.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #56 
TwilightNite

Congrats on getting your cute little kitty!

Going along with the declawing thing..... I think that is a personal decision to be made by the kitty's family. The only time I would say absolutely not is if your cat is allowed to be outside a lot. If your cat is going to an indoor cat, that is your decision but if your cat is allowed to go outside I advise highly against it. I'm not really for decalwing, but if it was up to me I would not declaw my cats but it is a personal decision for the family of the cat.

Last edited by TwilightNite; 05-01-2013 at 09:04 AM.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #57 
Viva

Poor Norman, he'll never be able to stretch his muscles/tendons that are connected to his claws ever again :( That is why cats stretch and claw at chairs and sofas and things. Idk my cats haven't destroyed a single thing since I've gotten them and both have claws. Theyre indoor cats and we live in a 2 room apartment. I really just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Why not just get a small dog? Nevermind, I don't want to see any toothless dogs running around.

Last edited by Viva; 05-01-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #58 
Elsewhere

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously kidding me? Why are you even trying to debate me on this? IT IS NOT MY CHOICE. If I want another cat, he will need to me declawed. I put pictures on here for others to see, and I get this crap! This is honestly unacceptable to me and you are ALL making me feel like a bad pet owner for following my own mother's instructions. THIS IS NOT YOUR CHOICE! You cannot change this and I have explained why I am doing this! He will be happy and healthy and loved. Is that not good enough for ANY of you? The owner is 100% FINE with it and he will NEVER go outside. This is NOT for debate. End of story.

I would say sorry for being rude, but I AM NOT. I will no longer be posting on this thread.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #59 
bettacrazygirl86

I simply asked why you plan on doing it. I managed to convince my mother not to declaw our cats, and I'm sure if you went about it the right way, you could too.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #60 
Artemis

Have you even tried talking to your mom? Why are you so sure that something bad is going to happen? Here is site from a vet's view on the procedure. She gives tips that will help your cat have less trauma if you chose to do this even though it's rarely recommended.
http://www.suevet.com/declawing_debate.html

Is your vet doing the laser method? She recommends it as the best as it numbs the nerves. If you are going through with it, make sure you do it right.

Why does your mom want him declawed? Is it over furniture getting ruined. If you care more about a couch then a cats well being you shouldn't own any pets.