Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #71 
NozzALa

The problem is that people think of bettas and honestly most fish as decoration for them and not actual creatures that need comfort and care like any other pet. I admit I looked at those awful 'betta tanks' at Walmart when I first got my betta, and ended up having him in a 1 gallon hex tank for a while. I read up on bettas and now he's in a 3 gallon tank. People just don't care or need to research this stuff.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #72 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
wow, and I get ticked off about these things.

At least he can turn around in that.
Actually this made a great hospital tank that saved my ADF's life when she was suffering severe dropsy(very hard to cure ADF's from that!).. Completely well now and back to the 10 gallon.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #73 
Backlash

Gee, and I felt bad when I bought a heated and filtered 1.5 gallon to use as a quarantine / hospital tank...
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #74 
ollief9

I hate it when people treat fish like disposable ornaments. I have never actually seen a Betta being kept in these sort of conditions but the mere fact that they sell these little death traps is really sad.

However, I have to say, has anyone on here actually seen many people keeping fish in containers like the ones mentioned in other posts? I've never really seen anything under 2.5 gallons for sale in a fish store and I doubt many people buy these products.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #75 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
I hate it when people treat fish like disposable ornaments. I have never actually seen a Betta being kept in these sort of conditions but the mere fact that they sell these little death traps is really sad.

However, I have to say, has anyone on here actually seen many people keeping fish in containers like the ones mentioned in other posts? I've never really seen anything under 2.5 gallons for sale in a fish store and I doubt many people buy these products.
Sadly, I have seen more than a few people keep bettas (or goldfish) in "trendy" enclosures rather than safe, practical ones. Especially a few years back when I was an undergrad, these little 1/2 gallon or less torture chambers were very popular. The local chain pet store would get huge shipments of them and bettas almost every week it seemed. These critters are the world to us, but we are the minority and often times they are treated as "disposable" decor accessories.

Also, while an independently owned LFS may know better than to sell these gimmicks for a quick buck, I see tons of them in every PETCO and PetSmart I go to. I see you live in England so maybe standards in general are higher there, but these little "tanks" have been a fixture of pet stores in the US for well over a decade. Even for the many years I was not a betta keeper, I would always browse the aquatics section and noticed the plethora of one gallon bowls, half gallon cubes, etc. for sale. If many people did not buy the products, they likely would not be on the floor year round. Shelf space is a valuable commodity in retail, and it wouldn't really benefit anyone to keep something there which doesn't sell.

Speaking of pet stores, even those who want to do right by their animals often face an uphill battle due to the massive amount of misinformation out there about betta care. If a soccer mom wanted to buy a betta for their 7 year old and were told they'd need things like a heater, thermometer, a decent sized enclosure, potentially a filter, etc. they would likely see it as unnecessary upselling and ignore the advice. It's one thing for a dedicated owner of a LFS to deny a sale if the person is wholly unprepared, but for many employees, doing that could result in being fired.
EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #76 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii View Post
wow, and I get ticked off about these things.

At least he can turn around in that.
I wish they made these in a size that's actually suitable for a betta to live in... I'd personally get one if it was at least 2.5 gallons because the designs on the back are rather interesting.

The ones that really irk me are the ones made by Lee's... They make a 24oz "tank" designed to be divided three ways, giving each fish 8oz of water. Sorry, but if you insist that keeping your fish in a container smaller than a can of pop is natural and healthy, you have some serious issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #77 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
Gee, and I felt bad when I bought a heated and filtered 1.5 gallon to use as a quarantine / hospital tank...
It's different for African dwarf frogs then Bettas. They aren't good swimmers and Dropsy isn't really very treatable for them. Most meds will kill them. They need when suffering illness very short distance to the top to breath and it was heated. Her condition was so bad I was 1 day away from aspirating her but luckily that hospital tank with pristine water made her able to survive after 2 months of intense care. I actually have a 10 gallon and a 2.5 gallon hospital tank as well for any others who need it.

Just sayin..these things can be used for something ..lol

And I'll add... My local Petco fish guy was worried when I bought that because it was soon after I bought my daughters Marble HM Betta. He actually asked what I was using it for making sure I had at least a better setup for the Betta. He then was relieved when he recalled several weeks before when I purchased the 4 gallon filtered tank. And the actually have a pamphlet right in front of the Betta cups telling customers the actual needs of a betta. Not the bs ones but more like here. A 2 gallon or more & told proper temps needed and next to them was a long isle of 2-6 gallon filtered tanks.

Last edited by Agent13; 05-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #78 
kathryn082

i found this on fishchannel.com do not copy it

Our hobby has grown from its simple roots into a high-tech pastime that is only limited by our imaginations. Although today’s hobby is enlightened and complex, some areas have remained attached to traditional practices. It is widely understood that goldfish were the backbone of this hobby, but with them came the goldfish bowl, and therein lies the problem.
Every year, around the world, thousands of these bowls are used to house goldfish that die of suffocation. This led us at “Timeline” to wonder where people got the idea that a goldfish can be happily maintained in a goldfish bowl. It would seem logical that this idea was handed down from the early days of the hobby, but it might surprise you to learn that the goldfish bowl, or globe, was never an accepted practice in the American aquarium literature. It is also interesting that like the goldfish bowl itself, the reason for such misinformation has not changed for at least 130 years.
The Wrong Home
The idea of goldfish being a poor choice for a goldfish bowl may seem strange. First and foremost, goldfish are large animals that can attain an adult size that may be twice as large as the bowl itself. A comet goldfish (the kind often won at fairs or sold as live food in pet stores) can attain lengths of 10 inches, while an oranda can fill a large man’s palm easily.
In addition to their size, they are dirty animals that pollute their environment if it isn’t properly maintained. Yet, there are other concerns in regards to keeping one of these gentle giants in a bowl, such as the shape of the bowl itself. The oxygenation process takes place at the surface of the water. This is often misunderstood by beginning hobbyists. Many see air pumped into an aquarium and conclude this is how oxygen is dissolved in water, but it is not that simple.
The fine mist of bubbles are doing nothing more than pushing the under water to the surface where it comes in contact with the atmosphere, which oxidizes the water. In a bowl there is little surface area in relation to the volume of water contained, so the fish are quickly suffocated. In other words, the bowl’s very shape proves detrimental to the goldfish.
Another problem with the design of a bowl or globe is that the curve of the glass makes it hard to see the animal, and it also makes it hard for the animal to see its host. It is for this reason that the goldfish bowl was recently banned in Rome; the lawmakers stated that they believe the curve of the glass could make fish go blind.
Lastly, goldfish are long-lived animals. I have read books that say they can live up to 100 years, but I have seen no evidence of this. However, I have known more than one person who has kept them for as long as 30 years. For this reason it seems logical that if you are going to try to keep such an animal, care should be taken to provide it with the environment required to maintain it properly.
Global History
What is interesting is that none of these facts are new to aquarium literature. They have been understood from the beginning of the hobby.
Although it is true that very early on in development of the modern aquarium hobby bowls were commonly used for everything from saltwater fish setups to goldfishkeeping, this practice was quickly replaced by good sense. By the time aquariumkeeping took hold in the United States, the general sentiment was against using bowls for keeping goldfish. In 1910, Hugo Mulertt said, “The old-fashioned fish globe is about the worst vessel that can be selected for the keeping of goldfish as pets; it will do well enough for a temporary display of the fish, but for permanent use it will not answer.”
In a 1902 issue of Freshwater Aquaria, G. Bateman remarked, “Another receptacle for water and fish is the common glass globe, which has nothing whatever to recommend it, except perhaps to those who delight to hang their unfortunate captives suspended by a chain from the ceiling in front of the window; and of course an aquarium which is to be placed in this position — the worst possible — must, on account of its weight, be small; besides, if full, the surface of the water exposed to the air must be extremely limited.”
The rectangular iron-rimmed aquarium was no accident, instead it was developed out of necessity because the common bowl killed fish.
The Hobby’s Insight
All of the hobby’s greatest names were in agreement on the subject. In 1908, Herman T. Wolf said this about the goldfish bowl, “Cruelty to fishes. All admirers of the aquarium should consider it a duty to direct attention to the pernicious practice of keeping fishes in small fish globes. Millions of goldfishes have been killed by slow torture in this regrettable precursor of the modern aquarium and by other unintentional cruelties.”
Time would not change this opinion either. Deep into the Great Depression era, the message was the same: “Globes and bowls are not suitable for fish! These vessels are undesirable for several reasons, perhaps the most important being the fact that the fish cannot be properly observed in a container of their shape. The curved glass sides distort vision so that the fish assume grotesque shapes and are usually out of line of vision. Another very important factor in the elimination of the globe is the limited water surface that comes in contact with the atmosphere,” said C. H. Peters in his Life and Love in The Aquarium, 1935.
You may begin to wonder how the goldfish bowl ever made it this far. Not everyone was against using a bowl to house goldfish. In fact, some spoke very strongly in favor for it.
Today, as then, there are people who profit from selling bowls for goldfish. One of the first books to be written for marketing via pet stores was Vincent Sanford’s tiny book entitled Aquaria. On page 43 you see a stark contrast to the experts’ opinions:
“We want to say a word right here in favor of the much abused round fish globes. It is difficult to find any book on this subject which does not condemn these globes, but the leading book on this subject now on the market is published by a manufacturer of square aquariums.
“The main objection to the fish globe is that the inhabitants are magnified and apparently distorted in shape when you look through the glass at them, especially in smaller sizes of fish globes, but thousands of people keep goldfish who cannot afford to have a square aquarium, or who think that the fish globes are more ornamental for the parlor than the square aquariums which take so much more room.”
Changing Attitudes
Why such a difference? It would seem it was because this book was to be marketed through the trade that profited from selling goldfish to be kept in bowls. Even the way the fish bowls were, and still are, marketed pushes the idea that a goldfish is fine in a bowl. I have used the phrase “goldfish bowl” through this entire article just to make a point.
For some reason we have been programmed to connect the goldfish and the bowl. Is this all because of greedy marketers who want to make a profit? In a word, no! I believe this perception runs much deeper. Popular culture has glorified the goldfish bowl, and a picture is worth a thousand words.
Goldfish don’t fare well in bowls and never will. Remember that within history’s archives there is a line drawn, and it is there that we will meet again when “Timeline” investigates

betta fish should NOT be in bowls

sorry this talks so much about gold fish
kathryn082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #79 
ollief9

Quote:
I see you live in England so maybe standards in general are higher there
Hmm.. well, I don't really see those horrible soda can-sized plastic things but biorbs are very popular here and I see lots of people keeping wholly unsuitable fish in them.. I've seen goldfish in the 3 gallon model WITH a betta. (This was in a restaurant so I couldn't really say anything).

I think maybe Betta standards are higher here because they just aren't as common. Many pet stores simply don't sell them and most dedicated fish stores only have a maximum of 5 or so. I've actually had a couple of blank looks from pet store employees when I asked if they had any Bettas. I think goldfish abuse is worse here; people often buy horrible 3 gallon 'starter kits' and throw 3 or 4 goldfish in them. Is goldfish abuse big in America or is it mainly bettas?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #80 
whiskandbowl

In reference to the poster above who asked
Quote:
"However, I have to say, has anyone on here actually seen many people keeping fish in containers like the ones mentioned in other posts? I've never really seen anything under 2.5 gallons for sale in a fish store and I doubt many people buy these products."
I work in a pet store. The biggest size we sell of something marketed specifically for bettas is a 1 gallon MiniBow. Everything else is 0.8 gallons, 0.5 gallons or smaller (I hate those Betta Keepers the size of soda cans!)
I try to steer people towards proper 5 gallon tanks or even Kritter Keepers. Sometimes it works. Usually it doesn't.
The majority of people buy the ridiculous 0.5g or 1qt bowls.
We get a lot of people wanting a cheap pet for their kid so they get a bowl and a 25 cent feeder goldfish, or sometimes a betta....I would say about 95% of people are amazed when I say that the goldfish they are buying needs at LEAST 20 gallons for ONE. That and convincing them to buy a heater for their betta...tropical fish means squat around here.
Common sense and proper research is not prevalent in my area.

Now the new thing are dwarf frog "ecosystems" which are barely 0.5 gallons. The gravel supposedly has "live bacteria" which consumes ammonia. The directions that come with it say to use a turkey baster to remove waste and change the water once every 3 months! The local bank here has a bunch of them and also those horrid betta blocks. The lady told me she changes the water once a month *headdesk*
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote