Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #1 
Greylady

PH Question

I never worried about my PH because everything I read said it was better to let the fish adapt to the PH in the water than to try to adjust it. All has been well for over a year. Whenever I would test it during my regular water parameters test, it would run between 7.8 and 8.2 which I know is considered high but none of my bettas ever seemed to have a problem with it.

About 3 weeks ago I added driftwood to a couple of my tanks not remebering that this would probably lower the PH, which it has. As of yesterday the PH from the 2 tanks I put driftwood in is 7.4, the tank without driftwood is 8.0.

When I test the PH level out of my tap (which is the water I use for water changes, conditioned with Prime) it is always off the charts, even when I use the "high PH" test solution it's still so high it doesn't show on the card. But like I said, my bettas never seemed to have an issue with it nor have my MTS, Zebra Snail or Ghost shrimp.

My question is....since the PH is so much lower in the tank now (due to the driftwood) then the PH in the water from the tap, should I be trying to lower the PH in the tap water before I do my partial water changes? I've read that such an abrupt change in PH could shock my bettas....

I know a solution would be to remove the driftwood but I really like the way it looks, drove a long way to find it and would like to keep it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Can you mix the tap water with distilled until you get the right pH and then add to tank. Or does it work that way; just a thought.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #3 
shellieca

Are you doing 100% water changes? If not then I don't think you'd be shocking your fish as much as you may think. Here's what I'd do, take some of the tank water & then add the tap water, 1/2 & 1/2 or whatever your water change ratio would be, test it for the Ph. Once you see that then you can decide what your next step should be if anything.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4 
Greylady

Ok, thanks guys!

To be honest I don't have a set schedule for water changes. My tanks are cycled, have live plants and are over a year old. So, I test the water about every 2 weeks and for the last 8 months or so the parameters have always been , ammonia 0, nitite 0, nitrate .5 to 10, ph 7.8 to 8.2.

I only do a water change about every 3-4 weeks because all the parameters are good and I've read sometimes less is more when it comes to messing with a cycled tank. As long as the ammonia and nitites are 0 and the nitrates are below 20 I dont mess with it.

When I do end up doing a water change it's usually to replace the water I've sucked out while doing a vacume to clean up any dead leaves etc. Usually it ends up being about a gallon to a gallon and a half by the time I'm finished cleaning. With a six gallon tank (more like 5.5 with substrate etc) I guess thats about 20 to 25 %.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll fool around with your ideas, do some testing and see what I come up with.

Bottom line is if I do more frequent water changes with less water that would mean less change in PH in the tanks right? I hadn't thought of the fact that the new water would be deluted with the tanks water :)
Thanks!

Last edited by Greylady; 05-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 
shellieca

I have always been told weekly water changes, regardless of water parameters, should be done to replenish other minerals & such in the water not just to remove the nitrates but obviously its your choice. Since you are doing such a small water change so infrequently I honestly don't think the Ph is or will be an issue.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote