Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Are the two together? If they are... And not in a proper sorority she is being bullied, and the other has dominated the tank to a point where she made it clear the food is hers.

Also, the possibility of injury and disease are high if they are together... Separate them. It could risk the other one's health by a lot.

If they are not in the same tank at all, then she may have come to you already sick.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 
bannlow2471

To be constipated, wouldn't she have had to have eaten fairly recently? I don't really know. I'm actually having the same issue with one of my new girls ... since Friday evening, she has eaten like three bites of something ... I've tried NLS pellets, Omega One flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine and mysis shrimp, and frozen beef heart. I've tried soaking the food in VitaChem. About the only thing I haven't tried is soaking in garlic - which I'm going to try this evening. Like your girl, Clementine is showing no signs of being ill or injured - she swims normally, etc. I am wondering whether she might be blind - but am not sure how common that is. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

bannlow, blindness would show. Clouded eyes (which can also be a bacterial infection which can be reversed if lucky...), scaled over (dragonscale), completely white, etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #14 
bannlow2471

Thanks, Sena. That's what I've read - it's just very disconcerting to see this behavior, and I know it's somewhat normal, but I never realized to this extreme. And it really is as though she's completely unaware of the food being there, or even of hands approaching her, while at the same time she behaves normally in every other way - she just doesn't seem to be visually aware of what's going on around her.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

I should say... A friend bought a betta who acted the same. Wecame to think he had troubles seeing, but could see (shadow and light differences). we had to keep his tank exactly how it was... The plant could not move or he would un into it. And you could not really see any difference in his eyes. so near sighted, maybe?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #16 
DefStatic

She sees the food, and just lets it pass. Sometimes she will go up to it like she is going to eat, and then look at it and decide not to.

I have looked the best I could at her, and I see no sign of anything.

I have watched them as much as possible when I am home, and I have seen no signs of bullying. I posted a video in the habitat section. You can see they are fine with each other. I have seen from time to time some minor chasing. But surprisingly, more often than not, it is her chasing the other.

Other times they used to be seen hanging out together.

During feeding time, they never have had a problem. I would get home, and they would see me come up to the tank, and they would both be right up top and up front. I put in some pellets and they never fight over them.

She was having a problem with the inconsistent size of the Aqueon stuff. Seemed to struggle with anything that was larger than the typical NLS size, often spitting it out. Which is what made me think it was the food. I only figured this was confirmed when the first day I brought home some NLS, she ate it right up without issue.

Should I just try another food? Even when I first got them, and they were in their own containers, she never ate as much as the other anyways.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Fish do not get tired of eating the same food - they are not like us. In the wild, many kinds of fish eat one particular kind of food exclusively.

My fish (betta included) eat NLS Thera A exclusively - they haven't eaten anything else in 5 years now, and they still relish it.

To think that they get bored eating a particular food is to attribute human characteristics to the fish, which one is free to do if they wish. But that doesn't make it so. If a fish is not eating, there is a problem. Some problems require our intervention, some do not.

Anyone that's owned a dog knows that it is happy to eat the same food every day of its life, and they also know that occasionally a dog will not eat because its not feeling well. I know I don't eat much when I'm sick, and most often time is all that's needed to correct the problem. That's just a universal physiological response.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #18 
sunlight

I would put her in the hospital tank in case she is sick. You wrote above she is resting more than usually . And if she still spitting the food out which she didn't do before she might getting sick. And also do large water change in that tank. You don't want your other girl get sick. And if you have other bettas do not share anything between them.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Because it is just the two of them, the signs she shows... Is stress.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #20 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Because it is just the two of them, the signs she shows... Is stress.
Oh - I did not realize that the two were in the same tank .... and I thought you had to have at least four to six females minimum for a sorority. So maybe she just doesn't feel relaxed enough to eat? Can you divide the tank?