Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lilnaugrim's PetCo Babies

Hey all! So I wanted to start a little journal to track the progress of my two Petco Betta Babies! I found out they were only 1.99 and I had to pick up two of them! I literally sat there on the floor kneeling as I looked at all, about 20 babies. Two were dead, there was a gorgeous double tail but s/he was cambodian color and I don't really like that coloration, don't ask why because I don't really know.

There was this little blue one that kept catching my eye, it was active and kept swimming around it's little cup to stop and look at me and would swim around more, looking at it's neighbor. I picked it up and tried to determine some sort of gender and tail type. I believe my boy Captain as I am calling him, is a boy and I think he's going to grow up to be a solid Red Veiltail but that's of course just speculation.

The second I also believe is a boy, thought it was a girl at first but the ventrals seem too long and the body proportions didn't look right. But he was just hanging there, half his body sort of bent it a weird shape and I couldn't just leave him there, he looked too fragile and his big eyes just stared at me, pleading me to take him home! I believe he is a Crowntail and will probably grow up to be a black CT with red finnage, but of course still speculating!

The CT is named Tony, I think he's got some swim bladder issues but I think good water quality will take care of some of that. He swims around in his tank every now and then fine, but he does rest up top on the fake plant quite a bit as well.

So without further ado, these are my two babies when I brought them home the first day, Friday April 26th 2013. The first is Captain and the second is Tony (Yes both named for Captain America and Tony Stark, I couldn't call him Iron Man because it didn't fit. I might also call Captain, Steve sometimes ^^)

lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 2

I know I'm commented one after the other but these pictures were from Saturday, the second day after I got them. They are both in a 3 gallon which is split with plastic mesh, I made sure they couldn't get through the holes first.

Steve is still much more active than Tony, I wasn't sure if Tony was going to make it through the night with the swim bladder issue but he seemed to have been doing better than Friday. Steve also colored up some more to be a little more blueish than his original dull color but I know that was just stress.

Steve loves to pick around in the gravel and poke at his fake plant, he also likes to taunt Tony through the plastic mesh which I'll get a picture at. He even reached his lips through the mesh to latch onto Tony's tail, Tony slapped him with his tail and swam off, it was rather amusing to see that little mouth opened so wide lol I'll be keeping an eye on him though to make sure nothing actually happens to his fins.

The filter is turned off and I'm doing a 30% change on the tank which is only filled about 2.5 gallons so Tony doesn't have to go too far up. Doing changes about every 3 days and feeding them twice daily with the same stuff I feed my platy fry. It's a mash-up of all the foods I have including Betta flakes, NLS pellets, Omega One Pellets and about three or four freeze dried bloodworms mashed up as well. They only eat a tiny pinch and I take out whatever they don't eat.

So here's some more pictures!

I really wish that Steve would be a Super Delta or even just a regular Delta but I think he's just going to be a normal Veiltail, I hope at least he grows up with good finnage.

Here's Tony kind of just floating, you can see Steve peeking through the mesh just underneath him, the cheeky baby! lol

And peeking around the corner now, he's got lipstick! I hope he keeps that at least! Tony's just like "wut?"

There is a small possibility Tony might be a girl? Just looking at the anal fin it looked too much pointed, but he's almost got the body of a girl and a little tummy that is filling in. And the Ventrals don't seem quite as long as Steve's but I guess time will tell :)

I'll try to update tomorrow when I go back to my dads. I hope I can keep this thread going, I'm pretty terrible at updates so if it happens I don't update in a while, just poke me and I'll get pictures up lol. Thanks all.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #3 
Corsica

Aw cuties! Good luck with them!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you! :D
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #5 
Darkicydevil

Aww!!! They are adorable! Do you know what they will grow into? Have you seen the parents?
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nope, they're from PetCo so I've got no idea which is part of the fun but I did speculate about what they might be in my first post ^^
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #7 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Nope, they're from PetCo so I've got no idea which is part of the fun but I did speculate about what they might be in my first post ^^
Can't wait to see!!!! : D
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Steve and Tony are so adorable! I sure got a kick out of how Steve likes to taunt Tony and got a hold of his tail and how Tony slapped him with his tail and swam off...lol Your doing a fine job in taking good care of them !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you Perseusmom! I was a little worried about feeding them that mixture but I do know they are old enough that they don't need all sorts of live foods and whatnot.

(If anyone asks, I am a Stony shipper and if you don't know what that is, that's perfectly okay and you can just watch from the sidelines haha) But I had thought about reversing the names since it's usually (in the comic sense) Tony that is the instigator and stuff but the name Captain/Steve really does fit the little guy, especially if they come out to be the colors I "predicted".

I also can't wait to see their growth! I'll be taking more pictures later today when I get to my dads house!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 6

Alrighty, as promised I have some new photos. Wow Tony is seriously being an instigator to Cap! It's hilarious to watch Captain through the mesh, glaring at Tony.

Steve is as active as ever but I worry a bit for Tony, it seems he's still got a bit of a swim bladder issue, he stays at the top most of the time but he's up right, he doesn't really go to his side too much or anything, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned with this or not.

They've been eating a mixture of Betta flakes, Tropical Flakes, few Freeze-dried blood worms, NLS pellets and Omega One Pellets with a bit of Algae/Bottom feeder wafers thrown in. It's the mixture I use for my Platy fry who are growing slowly >< It's been a month and they're still not longer than my whole finger nail...they are also in a breeder net so my girls don't pick on them.

Anywho, this journal isn't about my Platy fry lol.

Cap has some blue edges on his otherwise red fins now and his light blue irid. is getting a little brighter.

Tony still has black spots on him but he's also got a blue edging around his fins. Both are still in a shared 3 gallon that is split with plastic mesh and only filled about 2.5 gallons so Tony doesn't have to swim too far. Although I'm watching him right now and he's swimming fine through the mid and lower levels of his side.

Alright, picture time! The last few pictures I amped up the vivd-ness so you could see Steve's color which wasn't coming out great with the other flash and stuff.

Tony might end up being a girl in which case I'll call it Toni ^^ lol it's kind of got a girlish body shape with the tummy but time will tell!

Tony first:

Annnnd Steve:

That's all for today folks! :D