Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #11 
NozzALa

I've had my betta for almost five months and never had a heater. Though I live in a small apartment and it's a small three gallon tank. He's been thriving the entire time with no heater. Don't know why it's supposedly so 'essential.'
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Because bettas are tropical fish and come from countries where the water temperature is much higher than the average room temperature in a lot of places.

A heater also prevents the water temperature from fluctuating. Drastic fluctuations in temperature can stress fish and leave them very vulnerable to disease or parasites such as velvet.

IMO a heater is one of the most essential pieces of equipment in owning a betta, unless you either live in the tropics or maintain your house at a steady 80-82 degrees.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
I've had my betta for almost five months and never had a heater. Though I live in a small apartment and it's a small three gallon tank. He's been thriving the entire time with no heater. Don't know why it's supposedly so 'essential.'
What temperature you have in your apartment? I take all my heater out in the summer time.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

Also dragonx47 since you new to bettas do you need any tips on water changes, betta acclimation to the new temperature?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #15 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Well you've only had yours for 5 months, Bettas have lived without heaters but it doesn't mean its healthy for the fish or that the fish is happy. More often than not, a Betta not kept in water of the proper temp will not live as long as he or she should. If where you live is always 80F then you probably don't need a heater but I would at least get a thermometer to see the water temp.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #16 
NozzALa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well you've only had yours for 5 months, Bettas have lived without heaters but it doesn't mean its healthy for the fish or that the fish is happy. More often than not, a Betta not kept in water of the proper temp will not live as long as he or she should. If where you live is always 80F then you probably don't need a heater but I would at least get a thermometer to see the water temp.
My apartment is small and always pretty warm, and I've never seen him lethargic or looking unhappy in any way. Every single time I look at him he is swimming around happily and poking around in his plants. I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but for now I like to think he's happy without one. Plus the tank is only 3 gallons, keeps warm pretty easily just being in a warm environment.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
My apartment is small and always pretty warm, and I've never seen him lethargic or looking unhappy in any way. Every single time I look at him he is swimming around happily and poking around in his plants. I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but for now I like to think he's happy without one. Plus the tank is only 3 gallons, keeps warm pretty easily just being in a warm environment.
I'm glad you believe your fish is happy & that your water temp is good to keep him healthy. I have small tanks as well as larger tanks & I know that without a heater they are too cold to maintain a healthy & happy Betta long term. Its obviously up to the fish keepers how to properly care for his or her Betta(s).
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #18 
Agent13
Reference Team

It all depends on how warm the room is and how stable the temp of the room is NozzALa... My Daughters Betta was in a 2.5 gallon for a while and the temp stayed a steady 82f . That was due to both the size of the tank and the fact it was kept next to my sons Dragon that requires a basking temp of 105-108f therefor obviously a very warm room. However now in a 4 gallon in my daughters room I had to absolutely buy a heater.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote