Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #1 
JellOh

Jumping Tanks

Well, long story short, one of my females jumped into my males tank. They are in a divided 10 gallon with one other betta, but the dividers are solid so they can't smell each other. They did see each other for about 10 seconds before I but a binder divider in to block their line of site. Now the male has white stuff on his eyes and body and they are both clamped. Here's a form for both of them:

MALE
Housing
What size is your tank? 3.3 gallons (10 gallon solid dividers)
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS betta pellets, Omega One betta pellets, brine shrimp, and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 small meals (i just rescued him and he's on the thin side)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't, but I can if you think it would help.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slimy stuff on his eyes and body, clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Kinda lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I found him with the female
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Kinda, he's had aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he currently has inflamed gills, curling fins (from high ammonia), and is very thin (he was kept in a 5 oz plastic cup at the store I rescued him from)
How old is your fish (approximately)? A couple of months at least. He's deffinatly full grown.

FEMALE
Housing
What size is your tank? 3.3 gallons of a 10 gallon with solid dividers
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Betta Pellets, Omega One betta pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, six days a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every third day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, but I can if you think it will help

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped, bitten fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She's lying at the bottom of her tank all clamped up
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I took her out of the males part
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? A few months; she's at least an adult

I'm just really looking for what I should do for treatment and why the male has the white slimy things hanging off of him.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2 
justmel

A picture would help everyone try and figure out what the 'white slimy things' hanging of him is. And a water test would also help, so if you can please do test the water and post the parameters. I'm not an expert of betta fish illnesses at all, but I do know the more information you can give everyone the easier it is for them to help you & your bettas.

The white things could be
Quote:
Body Slime Infection
•Symptoms: Your betta is covered in a white film. It may just be in a few areas and may rise of the skin a bit. Lethargy, clamped, loss of apetite, may have cloudy eyes.
•Treatment: Body Slime infections or Slime Coat Sloughing are due to bacterial infections. Perform daily 100% water changes. Use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Jungle’s Lifeguard.
information from the disease 2 sticky thread found here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

So, it's treatable. The bad news is that since he shares water with your female she could become sick now too, I think. Remember, I said I am not an expert, so I could be wrong, but I do believe it can be spread in the water. That is why it's advised to quarantine any new fish, plants, snails, extra for a minimum of two weeks.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote