Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 
nel3

IAL questions

lons story short, i bought 50 ial tea bags from a local montreal breeder a year ago. ive reused the bags twice, 1 new bag for 1g of water and 2 previuosly used for 2l of IAL water. its kept the bags going for a long time but now im at the last new bag that i put in water a few days ago. i still can hold on for 2 weeks??? with the current supply. the problem is the breeder i purchased them from hasnt responded to any of my requests to buy more for 3 months. i dont know if he stopped the breeding business but its doubtful.

i sent another email to him but i dont think i'll get a response. i'll have to go to AB for some more. the price and quantity is not important but id like to know how many leaves i can use for 1gallon of water. that or how many leaves to put in a empty tea bag (i have em in stock.)

i do have 1 rooibos tea bag in stock (easily availble in stores) for a time im in a pinch though id prefer to use ial leaves more than actual teas. which is closer to IAL green decaf or rooibos?

Last edited by nel3; 04-30-2013 at 02:11 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #2 
tekkguy

It's a toss-up. Rooibos has less tannins than most green tea blends, but is NATURALLY caffeine free. When tea is decaffeinated, it is done with chemicals. Not only does some caffeine remain, but some chemicals may remain also. If you go with organic decaffeinated green tea, you may have better luck. Oxidized green tea will have less tannins than unoxidized green tea, but most green tea will be unoxidized anyway.

In a pinch, though, I've used Lipton. LOL ... just don't let it get too dark, and you'll avoid most of the caffeine problems anyway.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
Starfish1

If you go on eBay, there's a seller Amy who I just bought tea bags and regular IAL from. She's fantastic, gots lots of recommendations for her from other people on here. I'm not sure if she ships to Canada though and either way it'll take a few weeks to get your shipment.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 
isochronism

Amy is the ONLY source for me!!! I bought a big bag of A grade leaves. Great bargain!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

I bought some C+ leaves from Amy on ebay for $7.50. I was incredibly impressed. The leaves were spectacular, and she gave free shipping (which was equal to over 1/2 the price I paid for the leaves).
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #6 
nel3

ty very much for the replies everyone. it looks like Amy does ship to canada, she's listed her leaves on ebay.ca.

what sort of difference is there in the grades? is it just the size of the leaves , the tannin content or older leaves? im tempted to get the teabags, though i dont know what sort of grade usually gets put in them. i'll ask her about the quality of the leaves in the bags. the 50g grade C+ with free shipping is aslo awfully tempting.

ive purposely saved the previous 2 bags and plan to save the last 2 bags to reuse them a second time but i dont think i can stretch them for a 3rd time (never tried 2 or 3x use).

Last edited by nel3; 05-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 
isochronism

Amy's IAL's are the best deal in tank supplies!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #8 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
ty very much for the replies everyone. it looks like Amy does ship to canada, she's listed her leaves on ebay.ca.

what sort of difference is there in the grades? is it just the size of the leaves , the tannin content or older leaves? im tempted to get the teabags, though i dont know what sort of grade usually gets put in them. i'll ask her about the quality of the leaves in the bags. the 50g grade C+ with free shipping is aslo awfully tempting.

ive purposely saved the previous 2 bags and plan to save the last 2 bags to reuse them a second time but i dont think i can stretch them for a 3rd time (never tried 2 or 3x use).
In my experience, "grade" means nothing but how nice the leaf looks. I wouldn't worry about "grade" unless you're concerned with the appearance of the leaves.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 
Corsica

Love the IAL from Amy. In fact it is probably time for another order!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
In my experience, "grade" means nothing but how nice the leaf looks. I wouldn't worry about "grade" unless you're concerned with the appearance of the leaves.
thank you, the appearnce of the leaf doesnt matter much to me. if i get whole leaves then i'll just end up crushing them to fit in small teabags eitherway.

i dont particularly like using normal tannin free water then putting a leaf in to bring it in. prepared water is easier imo to use.