Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Alrighty, as promised I have some new photos. Wow Tony is seriously being an instigator to Cap! It's hilarious to watch Captain through the mesh, glaring at Tony.

Steve is as active as ever but I worry a bit for Tony, it seems he's still got a bit of a swim bladder issue, he stays at the top most of the time but he's up right, he doesn't really go to his side too much or anything, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned with this or not.

They've been eating a mixture of Betta flakes, Tropical Flakes, few Freeze-dried blood worms, NLS pellets and Omega One Pellets with a bit of Algae/Bottom feeder wafers thrown in. It's the mixture I use for my Platy fry who are growing slowly >< It's been a month and they're still not longer than my whole finger nail...they are also in a breeder net so my girls don't pick on them.

Anywho, this journal isn't about my Platy fry lol.

Cap has some blue edges on his otherwise red fins now and his light blue irid. is getting a little brighter.

Tony still has black spots on him but he's also got a blue edging around his fins. Both are still in a shared 3 gallon that is split with plastic mesh and only filled about 2.5 gallons so Tony doesn't have to swim too far. Although I'm watching him right now and he's swimming fine through the mid and lower levels of his side.

Alright, picture time! The last few pictures I amped up the vivd-ness so you could see Steve's color which wasn't coming out great with the other flash and stuff.

Tony might end up being a girl in which case I'll call it Toni ^^ lol it's kind of got a girlish body shape with the tummy but time will tell!

Tony first:

Annnnd Steve:

That's all for today folks! :D

They are very cute!
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So it's been an interesting week. I had taken the gravel out of their split 3 gallon and realized that was what was holding the divider up >< So I tried to cut and fashion one for that 3 gallon but it was freaking impossible because not only is it a bow front but on the back bottom edge, for some reason it's like indented like a mini shelf.....makes no sense.

So I gave Tony the entire 3 gallon, well only filled half way because he's still having some issues swimming. He doesn't exactly tip over or anything like SBD but his head is nearly always touching the surface and has a hard time swimming down and staying down although sometimes I'm wondering if he's not just lazy....

So anyway, Captain went into the 1 gallon-ish critter carrier I got from walmart with a lovely Marina heater in it. They were seperated for almost a week until today when I switched everyone around.

I split my 10 gallon where Remmy and Ditto sit to add in Aero so that freed up his old 3 gallon. I then took out all the substrate in Aero's old 3 gallon and fashioned a rough divider for the babies.

And then the 3 gallon that Tony was in I sanded that and put my new unnamed boy in there (he's a DT! I'm so excited!!)

I found something very interesting though, the entire time they were seperated, both lost almost all their color and became almost depressed. But now that they are back together they colored up beautifully and seem much happier, but who am I to be able to actually tell :)

So everything was good, everyone was settled and I was watching the babies, I look away and look back to find Tony managed to get through to Steve's side!! I quickly bounced up to get a cup but I couldn't help to stall and watch what they would do.

Steve instantly had breeding/submissive stripes which I've pegged down to submissive stripes because he does not have ovaries unless they grow in more later....but so far no triangular ovaries behind his tummy.

But neither of them fought, they circled each other or more like Tony circled him and then Steve swam away. But either way I quickly tried to scoop Tony out but I got Steve instead.

I went to work with the divider, I didn't cut it right so there was a gape at the back of it. I found some old airline tubing, cut a line in it so it would sit around the edges of the mesh and finally put it back in and each of the boys on their respective sides.

Steve keeps going up to the mesh and it really looks like he's "longing" to get onto Tony's side lol and whenever he see's Tony again he gets the vertical stripes but he just stares.

I find this just so amusing and if you are a stony shipper...you will too ;D

Anyway here's some pictures I took of them today!

Sorry for the camera glare, Tony's on the left side and Steve on the right.

And here are Steve's vertical stripes, Tony flares a little but Steve just stares lol It's rather amusing.

My camera actually surprised me since it's usually no good, but here's a close-up of Steve's stripes! What a cutie, his dorsal fin is also become a nice deep blue.

Steve's just so photogenic, Tony either doesn't stay still or my camera isn't in the mood to take a good pic lol So this is why there is more Steve :)

Look at that blue dorsal! And no ovaries in this picture if you look close. At least, that's what I see, perhaps you can spot some out?

A little green irid. I'm in love with his blue dorsal though! I know it's wishful thinking but I wish he could just keep the blue dorsal and then the rest of his fins be a deep red with a blue butterfly outlining but I know that's definitely not going to happen.

And last one:
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #13 
Darkicydevil

awwww!!!! love the pictures <3 they are all growing so well!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh my goodness, these babies are going to be the death of me!

I came home from a 15 minute exam (ugg, had to drive all the way to school and back for it which sucks but whatever, it was my last final woot woot!)

So I came home and looked into the babies split 3 gallon and Steve was on Tony's side now!! Arrrgggg

But it seemed that they were getting along enough that Steve only started to chase Tony after I sat down on my bed. As soon as the chasing started though I grabbed the cup I had sitting by and scooped Steve out. I fixed where I thought the holes might be where he got through and am watching them closely now. There was no damage done, no fin nips or anything, I'm thankful that they are either too stressed or calm enough to not bother the other too much. It's still frustrating though that I can't build a good enough divider without having substrate.

I didn't want substrate though so I could clean the bottom out easier and not have to worry so much about left over food rotting in the gravel ><

We'll see how the improvements hold up in the next few hours.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh my god, he did it again! Steve some how found his water over to Tony's side >< Arrrg I'm seriously going to kick something if this keeps happening (don't worry it wont be a fish or a tank lol)

Half the time I look over and expect Steve to do a Free Willy or something...I think he's just squeezing past the rubber of the airline hose. Right now Steve is in a cup and the two are trying to fight through the plastic while I figure out how to super reinforce this barrier without using duct tape ><

Steve still has super vertical lines which I've never seen a male have before, I'm just going to assume they are submission stripes since I know that can happen. One of my girls in the sorority nearly has permanent ones from being lower on the pecking order. Just interesting to see a male have them. :)
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

And on last time >< Well I'm done with the divider. I broke out the small-ish 1 gallon critter kepper I got from walmart and Steve is now swimming in that, floating in the 3 gallon. Tony is hiding behind the filter.

I seriously have no idea how he got around it after I amped up the sides to make it so he couldn't get around but I think the bottom of the tank is bowed unfortunately so I think he slipped under the corner of the bottom. I really don't know, I just looked up and noticed Tony was swimming frantically back and forth at the front of the tank and then saw Steve come up from behind him....geez.

Steve had better not go Free Willy on me in this little tank, there's a good 2.5 inches to the lip of the container but he seems to be one determined Betta Baby! Yikes.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #17 
Darkicydevil

yikes! thats crazy! haha well at least they get along ok and no one got hurt
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol yeah, thank god! I mean, they were still flaring at each other and Steve was trying to nip but for the most part it didn't seem like they wanted to inflict a lot of damage, but who am I to judge a fish's mind? lol
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #19 
Corsica

You might have to do the plastic report divider ends and silicone them in.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I saw that, but I don't want to permanently divide the tank because eventually when they're grown up I will split my 5.5, one will go there and the other will stay in the 3 gallon. But the reason I don't want to split my 5.5 gallon yet is because Lord Mercury is in there and he will throw a fit if I do it just yet since he's still healing.

I'll figure something out though, I thought this one was going to easier because it's a cube instead of a bow front >< Why do I have to have odd tank dimensions? lol